Need input.

shrapnel
10+ year member

Hey everyone,

It's been a bit since I've actually posted....

I'm looking at doing an upgrade to my current vehicle and want some input on this. Looking for improvements that won't bend the budget. Power Amp just might be the exception.

Right now I'm looking at the following for a '06 Solstice. Original HU gone before I got it, but apparently the rest of the Monsoon system is present. No On-Star. Sadly no Satellite.

Doors/Pillars: Rockford Fosgate P165-SI

Quarter Panels: Polk Audio DB402

yeah, I know there may be some small mods needed to install them

I haven't fully decided if I want to modify the original 8" molded sub box or not.

If not:

Subs Option 1: Rockford Fosgate P3DS4-8 (or DS2, depending)

Subs Option 2: Kicker CompRT 43CWRT82

Subs option 3: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2

If I do decide to modify:

Subs Option 1: Rockford Fosgate P3DS4-10 (or DS2, depending)

Subs Option 2: Kicker CompRT 43CWRT102

Subs Option 3: Pioneer TS-SW2502S4

I'm leaning towards the Rockfords TBH.

Power Amp.. now this is where I have my most concerns as I want good quality with enough power to keep me satisfied with QL. Bass can be a little heavy, but not vibrate every nut and bolt loose. I'm trying to keep around 60A or less (8Ga) as to minimize impact on my stock 125A alternator.

What I've come down to is:

Soundstream PN5.640D Picasso Nano - 60x4, 200x1 @4 or 80x4, 350x1 @2 (fused @ 1x40A)

I've also looked at this one, which hits the absolute max I want to spend (and current draw)...

Alpine MRV-V500 - 40x4, 150x1 @ 4 or 69x4, 250x1 @2, CEA-2006 (fused @ 30Ax2)

Edit - dropped the MB Quart Subs from consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if the Soundstream amp will make the power it claims I don't have any experience with them but have always thought Alpine amps to be fairly efficient and if it claim 60 amp fuse rating for that power not sure how Soundstream could **** near double it with almost half the fusing and out of those subs I would probably go with the Rockford although I must say I'm not a huge fan of any but that could be just because I'm a straight base head and there are some monsters 8 in Subs out there

Not sure if the Soundstream amp will make the power it claims I don't have any experience with them but have always thought Alpine amps to be fairly efficient and if it claim 60 amp fuse rating for that power not sure how Soundstream could **** near double it with almost half the fusing and out of those subs I would probably go with the Rockford although I must say I'm not a huge fan of any but that could be just because I'm a straight base head and there are some monsters 8 in Subs out there
Actually looking back at the post Soundstream is not quite claiming double the power off of half the fusing but close enough for my point to still be valid
That's the kind of thing I'm looking to find out here. I'd rather not invest in junk. (The only dyno I've seen on YT for the picasso nano was for the pn4.520D 4ch from a place that sold them, and unfortunately it was just the dyno shown so I or any other viewer can't tell 100% it was the claimed amp.)

I'm now thinking, perhaps:

Clarion XC2510 -> 50 x 4, 200x1 @ 4; 75 x 4, 300x1 @ 2; 150x2 bridged @ 4. It uses 2 - 40A fuses ( 1 - 40A fuse per power line.) Crutchfield claims an 8Ga power line is the recommended size, although the largest included fuse I've seen on an 8ga line is 60A... that is unless there are known issues. (Amazon has a much nicer price than Crutchfield.)

wouldn't do clarion amp, or kicker sub.. heres a 5 chan amp PN900.5 - Precision Power 5-Channel Class D Phantom Series Amplifier
Thanks for the input.

I get something funny when I look at the description on Amazon for that amp:

• If the amplifier’s output, that is connected to the woofer, provides DC current, instead of an AC music signal, HEAT is produced - instead of music. This heat burns the voice coil and destroys the amplifier.

I'm not sure what they were thinking there, as that holds true for just about any amp on the market. I'll definitely look at this amp closer as it can be had for decent coin though.

(I've heard rumours of the Rockford Fosgate R600.5 having heat issues, unfortunately, as that knocked that one out of consideration.)

Out of curiosity, what issues do the clarion amps have?

Thanks for the input.
I get something funny when I look at the description on Amazon for that amp:

• If the amplifier’s output, that is connected to the woofer, provides DC current, instead of an AC music signal, HEAT is produced - instead of music. This heat burns the voice coil and destroys the amplifier.

I'm not sure what they were thinking there, as that holds true for just about any amp on the market. I'll definitely look at this amp closer as it can be had for decent coin though.

(I've heard rumours of the Rockford Fosgate R600.5 having heat issues, unfortunately, as that knocked that one out of consideration.)

Out of curiosity, what issues do the clarion amps have?
i've saw a few, was many yrs ago they just weren't strong at all.. all i can tell u is i'd say at least 10 peeps here have a pahntom amp of some kind (read my sig) guys with huge systems (4-10's in doors etc) have 2-4 2 channel versions or a 4 channel or mono amp and very well liked guy here wanted to buy mine other day cause they stopped making mono and they going up.. i hadn't seen that "info b4 in item description" looks like it's just telling u not to play amp with car off., it says anything below12.6v i think just saying don't under power the amp or it can send clipped signal like every amp on earth can..

I run multiple work trucks and all but one have 5 channel amps in them. The Soundstream does fine but I changed it out of one, just not enough power on the sub channel for my liking. I really like the NVX 5 channels and they do more than rated power and are clean sounding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I forget where I seen that post on the RF "heat issue"... which may have just been more of a bad install location when I think of it. I think I seen some dynos of a SKar amp meeting power (I think, I'd have to go review on YT)... but I know also that just because it can meet power, doesn't mean it will last.

That Precision Power P900.5 is looking good to me. I'll probably just wire the sub amp in 4 Ohm though... It's going in a little car and I'm more interested in SQ than SPL anyway. (Not that I don't like good strong bass, I do, but I want to hear the rest of it and have it sound good.)

I run multiple work trucks and all but one have 5 channel amps in them. The Soundstream does fine but I changed it out of one, just not enough power on the sub channel for my liking. I really like the NVX 5 channels and they do more than rated power and are clean sounding.
How much power were you looking for your sub from a 5 ch amp? I have a 5 ch amp in my possession and will be powering a single 8 soon, lol....it'll crank out 850+ watts @ 1 ohm.

How much power were you looking for your sub from a 5 ch amp? I have a 5 ch amp in my possession and will be powering a single 8 soon, lol....it'll crank out 850+ watts @ 1 ohm.
Nice, which one?
I switched it to an NVX and happy with it, for now. That is the truck I drive the most (better mileage). Will probably go with a 4 channel and separate mono amp for subs later.

Nice, which one?
I switched it to an NVX and happy with it, for now. That is the truck I drive the most (better mileage). Will probably go with a 4 channel and separate mono amp for subs later.

ED Nine.5

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.