Car stereo quit working when I disconnected an external tape deck...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Shmaudio

I installed an aftermarket deck and it was working fine until I replaced the stock external tape deck with a storage pocket and I"m guessing it must have shorted something out. I checked every fuse in the dash and engine compartment and they all have continuity. If I press the eject button on the deck it makes a sound, but there is no sound from any speakers and the display doesn't illuminate, but if I run power from my inverter to the ignition (red) wire the display illuminates but I only get sound from the subwoofer. I know there is a preamp for the speakers, but it is difficult to access to test it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I potentially dismantle my dash board... I made an appointment at car toys on tuesday for $100 an hour and said it could take up to three hours, which I'd really like to avoid. But I need music in my car or I will die. I drive a 2001 chevy tahoe. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I installed an aftermarket deck and it was working fine until I replaced the stock external tape deck with a storage pocket and I"m guessing it must have shorted something out. I checked every fuse in the dash and engine compartment and they all have continuity. If I press the eject button on the deck it makes a sound, but there is no sound from any speakers and the display doesn't illuminate, but if I run power from my inverter to the ignition (red) wire the display illuminates but I only get sound from the subwoofer. I know there is a preamp for the speakers, but it is difficult to access to test it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I potentially dismantle my dash board... I made an appointment at car toys on tuesday for $100 an hour and said it could take up to three hours, which I'd really like to avoid. But I need music in my car or I will die. I drive a 2001 chevy tahoe. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
What do you mean by a preamp for the speakers?

Did the tahoe come with a stock amp or did you mean the aftermarket headunits preamp?

At most you could of messed up the ignition relay..

Continuity to every fuse does not mean a fuse is not blown.

Check the fuse for the radio in the side fuse box near your driver door inside the cab.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

By preamp I mean the small amp behind the glove box, but I just removed it and opened it up and visually inspected it and couldn't see any damage...

When I installed the deck I had to jump the (I think...) blue and pink to the pink wire in the harness to get any sound from my speakers.

The fuse for the radio looked fine and I checked it with the voltage meter and tested fine...

I'm not really sure how to test the ignition relay with the voltage meter to see if it's blown or not... do auto part stores test them, or are they expensive? I've never had to mess with them before so I'm kind of newb as far as that goes..

So

By preamp I mean the small amp behind the glove box, but I just removed it and opened it up and visually inspected it and couldn't see any damage...When I installed the deck I had to jump the (I think...) blue and pink to the pink wire in the harness to get any sound from my speakers.

The fuse for the radio looked fine and I checked it with the voltage meter and tested fine...

I'm not really sure how to test the ignition relay with the voltage meter to see if it's blown or not... do auto part stores test them, or are they expensive? I've never had to mess with them before so I'm kind of newb as far as that goes..

So
When you removed the cassette deck how many wires and what colors were on the harness for it?
I assume it may have had a continuity thru the deck for the stock amp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I thought there was an adapter/harness you needed to make the factory amp work, and If you bypass the amp you don't need it (maybe you pulled that accidently??). Its really easy to pull the head unit. I would just take it out and double check the wiring before I took it a shop. Ive learned my lesson on that one.

There are plenty of youtube vids, but its literally; shift all the way down, pull off the bezel, and pinch the clips to pull out the ac controls and head unit, (I can do it in less than 15 seconds).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.