First time sketchup user... any advice, criticism or useful links?

Participant count
  • Participant list

shredder2

CarAudio.com VIP
Az
I've been using sketchup for about 5 hours actual now, after watching a couple of videos. I seem to have made a mess on this attempt with measurements... lol... I should have waited till it was assembled until adding measurements obviously. I tried to send one drawing to my son as a test but it could not be opened, is this because he has a chromebook instead of a computer?

I also tried to send it as a series of drawings in a compressed folder... cut sheet, assembly drawings etc... same result. I'm asking for a link to anything that will show me how to send these drawings as a model. Possibly it's cause he has a chromebook?

Thanks in advance for any input

FikG56.jpg

d49olT.jpg

Pwjto2.jpg

I think every sketchup user has their own preference on how to use it, while there's a lot of diff ways to use it. I myself like to lay out the bottom board 1st, then start drawing up the side, back, front, ports, 45"s etc. Once it's all laid out, then use the push/pull button/feature then bring all the pieces up to size. I find this is the easiest for me.

Thx for the tips... I'm still wondering if the reason I can't send drawings to my son is because it's a chromebook he's using?.. Do you need to have the program downloaded on a PC to view drawings that get sent? I'm about 8 hours into using this and it's cool... anyone know the answer to that question?

Thx for the tips... I'm still wondering if the reason I can't send drawings to my son is because it's a chromebook he's using?.. Do you need to have the program downloaded on a PC to view drawings that get sent? I'm about 8 hours into using this and it's cool... anyone know the answer to that question?
Yes you need the specific program, you need to look into the file types and possibly export it into a more standardized file format if all you want is to send him a cut ****. I'm sure you can just export a 2D cut sheet from one plane

Yes you need the specific program, you need to look into the file types and possibly export it into a more standardized file format if all you want is to send him a cut ****. I'm sure you can just export a 2D cut sheet from one plane
Thx... I can just screenshot the different views and details I guess... sending a 3d model may be something a free user cant do idk.

Tryin kerfed now... lol... much harder for sure, once you make a group how can you make the piece stay where you place it and end the grouping without having it disappear?.. I know how to edit, copy/paste etc... but can you undo a group? Thanks in advance for any tips... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

d0iNwc.jpg

Also... If I make a certain object (example 8" aero, 45's... etc) can I store it in a library for quick retrieval during different projects?.. and where is it in the program?

Thanks again

What's this group your talking about? Btw that kurfed looks good...haven't tried it myself yet.

On a side note, kerfed enclosures from what I read don't do much good vs. reg ported. Even tho they have a more opening thinking that it will yield more SPL. Guess it's a proven fact that it does nothing.

When making panels I first draw a rectangle, size it, then extrude it and finally drag to highlight the entire piece. Once highlighted I right click and select "make group"... this lets me move the whole enchilada anywhere as a group including all different axises. Once a group is made the group can be edited by clicking on it and then right clicking and selecting edit group. But there are times I'd like to just end the whole grouping to change one tiny detail, any advice on how to store objects for easy retrieval in some sort of library?

When making panels I first draw a rectangle, size it, then extrude it and finally drag to highlight the entire piece. Once highlighted I right click and select "make group"... this lets me move the whole enchilada anywhere as a group including all different axises. Once a group is made the group can be edited by clicking on it and then right clicking and selecting edit group. But there are times I'd like to just end the whole grouping to change one tiny detail, any advice on how to store objects for easy retrieval in some sort of library?
That I couldn't tell ya...beyond my Sketchup skills //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.