What is your thoughts on the break in period?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I don't hammer new subs right out the box, but I don't have a specific break-in sequence either. I first listen at lower levels and then ease into it more and more depending on how much I listen to it or warm it up. Some say don't worry about it. Some companies have detailed instructions.

Some of your higher power subs def deserve a break in period....I have heard of months to break in simply because of how stiff suspension is. Some will do it, others don't. Typically play easy for a few weaks then let her have it. You should notice a bit louder too.

Most subs under 1000w rms don't really need to be broken in, but you will notice after a short period the subs will dig a little deeper as the suspension softens up and the fs drops.

Most competitors compete with relatively fresh recones because they need the suspension to be stiff. The suspension being stiff allows them to run more power without running into mechanical limitations

The only real downside to not breaking in the sub is that some of the glues holding the spiders to the voice coil former can be brittle and can fail if over stressed. So breaking in the sub at low power allows the spiders to soften and lowers the strain on that glued joint

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on 10hrs of decently low volume, then ease into the bass in a short amount of time.
I have done about 18 hours at low volume (50%) on mine and then kick it up about 25% a week over the next two weeks. It has served me well to this point. I drive 15-18 hours a week and yes I would have probably been fine doing it much quicker, but hey I don't like to take any chances.

my breaking in is playing 20hz almost near full tilt trying to float shirts on some of the stiffest out of factory subs right off the box. Even then it took several months for the suspension to actually loosen up.

Literally just take the first 5 to 10 minutes to find out your system limits and go all out from there. HDC subs are one of the subs that people say need a break in, thats bull sh*t. Whail on them b*tches and eventually the suspension will loosen up. If you have them on low power playing conservatively with minimal excursion, they arent gonna break in at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.