$300 Subwoofer and Amp Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

njknittle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
PA
Need some insight. Wanna spend no more than $300. Need to buy an amp and a Subwoofer(s). Look for tight punchy Bass. Hard hitting but not knock your mirrors off. Would prefer a sealed enclosure.. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

4300 will be tight with box.. just to start i would recommend the pioneer 3003 pro 12" they $80 each on ebay.. they take beating and sound good (i ran 900rms to 1 ported for months no problems) u would need a 1k-1200rms amp to run 2 well.. u could do 1 probably be ok just u know u want more later.. if u like sundown u could get 2 lcs but u can get E's on cab for $95 but the pioneer would kill the lcs on every level for less $ than the E b stock.. u said u don't want to rattle mirrors here was my 1 ported

A little 8 in a T line enclosure would do fine. Sealed is garbage in all honesty.
Say no more........

9jinPVS.jpg

ilSP2Ko.jpg

Sub will run ya about 150-180. OP you'd be lucky to find a used m3 8. Keep looking on every site, every pawn shop. Let's talk about wood. It's not cheap anymore. MDF is the preferred choice for sub enclosure building material. Runs about 30-45 bucks a sheet that's 4'x8'.....also depends upon in state/city your in as price varies. Here it's more, just because WA ***** and the high cost of living, along with everything else. There's also birch wood, a tad more $$ but also light weight and stronger than mdf. The images I provided is made from baltic birch...very expensive. Cost me 100 bucks for 2 sheets of it to build. Still have 1/2 sheet left in my garage.

Forgot about that 11 layer pine...glad you mentioned it.
those tlines still confuse me.. the inner "box" looks like some ported ones i've seen that have what they call secret chamber or something like that (but it's just like in the corner) i don't get what that does but i'd love to try one with it and without it same size see if u can hear a diff..

those tlines still confuse me.. the inner "box" looks like some ported ones i've seen that have what they call secret chamber or something like that (but it's just like in the corner) i don't get what that does but i'd love to try one with it and without it same size see if u can hear a diff..
its all port, that spot is just for the sub and motor but its technically the same length all around as port, it even accounts how big the sub is and how it should rest. The whole enclosure is a port. Not some garbage labyrinth style ported box.

Appreciate the feedback. So an 8" in a ported box would do me good?! Even if I want tight responsive bass? Send me your favorite 8" subs in the $150 range.

Appreciate the feedback. So an 8" in a ported box would do me good?! Even if I want tight responsive bass? Send me your favorite 8" subs in the $150 range.
tline works different plays flat like a sealed box but louder.. u have to have box designed for the sub u have.. if u gonna do reg ported u should do a 10 maybe..

its not a ported box. its a 1/4 wave transmission line. its way more tight and responsive than a sealed and gets almost as loud as a ported but plays a wider range. Its tuned to the FS of the subwoofer with port area matching the subwoofer's SD, highly technical box that you most likely need to pay a professional box designer for a blueprint

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.