Any advice on a ~$300 build?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dom_

Above Average Member
I'm looking to upgrade my scrap bin system for around $300. I'd like to get a new single-din head unit with Bluetooth, two 12" subwoofers, and an amp to power them. Currently, I have a $30 head unit straight off the boat, a $50 "1000w" amp that only works 15% of the time, and two $20 subwoofers in a box very similar to this. I already have a good box, so now I need to know what the best combination of components I can get with my budget, and if I need to buy them one at a time, what order should I upgrade my system in?

I'm more than happy to provide any other information. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What is the system going in and what are you using of what you have NOW,and what are you looking for directly?I want to make sure that I understand

theres a jvc hu for like $89 peeps rec on here they'll give u model i'm sure... as far as the subs why not just get 1 12 ported and run more power to the 1 sub., amp i recommend jbl 500 they tested at like 840rms at 2ohm for about $100, run that to 1 12 rated around 600 rms ported.. if u wanta do a sealed box (also need to know if u buying or making box) u can do 2 lower subs but wont be louder than the 1 ported what music do u listen too?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going in a 1999 Camaro. The head unit I have right now is a $30 BOSS unit, model 616UAB. It obviously isn't the best, but it works well enough that I can stand to keep that in order to put more money into something else. The amp is a Soundstorm 1500W monoblock, but it hardly ever works. It went the whole summer without working despite being powered, and it recently started cutting on randomly for a few minutes at a time. I'll take it apart and see if I can find any lose wires or broken connections, but I'm thinking it will need to be replaced. I have 12" Pyle red label 800w subs. I'm a decent woodworker and could build my own box, but whether I build it or buy it, there isn't much space to work with. I'm fine with taking up all the space for the T-tops in the trunk if I need to, which seems like the best place for a sub. I'll get measurements for that if that will help. I listen to mostly rap, and I want it to be as loud as possible while still sounding clean and covering a decent range if that makes any sense.

This is going in a 1999 Camaro. The head unit I have right now is a $30 BOSS unit, model 616UAB. It obviously isn't the best, but it works well enough that I can stand to keep that in order to put more money into something else. The amp is a Soundstorm 1500W monoblock, but it hardly ever works. It went the whole summer without working despite being powered, and it recently started cutting on randomly for a few minutes at a time. I'll take it apart and see if I can find any lose wires or broken connections, but I'm thinking it will need to be replaced. I have 12" Pyle red label 800w subs. I'm a decent woodworker and could build my own box, but whether I build it or buy it, there isn't much space to work with. I'm fine with taking up all the space for the T-tops in the trunk if I need to, which seems like the best place for a sub. I'll get measurements for that if that will help. I listen to mostly rap, and I want it to be as loud as possible while still sounding clean and covering a decent range if that makes any sense.
ok i just helped a guy with a older camaro make a box for pioneer 3003 600tms 2.5" coil 12 they $80

make lots of bass for cheap if u do box right with 4" round port.. as long as u have 26-30" width about 15" height (with sub up) u can make box for like $60 wood and 4" pvc.. buy 1 of the 2 ohm stable amp i showed u above and i can give u specs for box other guy made (i'll help u change it some for you car he went tad to small through pm's) 1 of these ported with good power be better than 2 sealed in small boxes.. look for jvc, kenwood hu with 4 v preamp out puts and xovers so u can protect speaker from the bass, my kenwood x301 was $119 has bt usb, 13 band eq even time alignment (time delay so sound from all speakers get to u at same time).. here's video of same pioneer in my grandprix shaking my mirror on 900rms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.