metalhead needs a ported box design for a 12" Pioneer TS-W3003D4

2RZ-FE
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I will be building a box soon just need a design with a cut sheet. 3/4" MDF is already bought and will be used. Have an older RF 501bd amp rated 500x1 @ 2ohms.

Vehicle : 2002 Dodge Stratus SE sedan

Location in the vehicle: Trunk, sub and port facing the rear. The whole back seat folds down

Space available: 36" side to side x 18" deep x 14" high

Subwoofer make and model: Pioneer TS-W3003D4

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot

What type of music do you like?: Heavy Metal most of the time

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday music

Tuning Freq (Hz): ?

Volume : ?

Questions: How much space is required in front of a box and the trunk lid, wall etc? Is 14" height enough for a 12" sub, not too close to the edge?

Idk why an aero would be necessary for 500 watts... just a 1.6ft3 net tuned to 36hz... call it 13.5" long... a regular 4" id PVC should suffice... download Torres box calculator and play around... I'd tune to 34hz- 36hz for modern metal...

shredder exactly right if u wanta see how loud 1 gets on 900rms in 1.63cf ad heres mine

.. (if u only have 500rms maybe make it 1.7cf ad (be sure to subtract sub disp and rear port board and corners it won't need bracing)

shredder exactly right if u wanta see how loud 1 gets on 900rms in 1.63cf ad heres mine

I'd be careful going too much larger just in case... when I actually modeled one the power handling went south pretty fast past 1.7ft3... a BD amp?.. im pretty sure youll get 600-700 watts and I'd err on the cautious side... just to be safe lol... the bigger box might extend lower but for metal I wouldn't tune under 34hz anyways

It's been awhile since I looked at one... but iirc its picky with airspace and power handling

What would 1.5cf with a 3" round x 6" long port be tuned to? That is the one recommended in the manual for the sub.

I searched for the torres but couldn't find a link that worked I will look again now

What would 1.5cf with a 3" round x 6" long port be tuned to? That is the one recommended in the manual for the sub.
I searched for the torres but couldn't find a link that worked I will look again now
3" about 6" long?.. 40Hz or so

Looks ok... maybe tune to 34hz... Torres generally comes about 1-2hz under actual tuning... I'd go with a side port if it's in a trunk... then use a 4" round and adjust airspace... 1.5-1.65 ft3 @34hz in Torres should be at 35-6hz

Looks ok... maybe tune to 34hz... Torres generally comes about 1-2hz under actual tuning... I'd go with a side port if it's in a trunk... then use a 4" round and adjust airspace... 1.5-1.65 ft3 @34hz in Torres should be at 35-6hz
yep i just spend a wekk and 100 emails helping guy who messed up a slot port box for 3003 (because of where sub has to fit) bottom depth was 1/2 of top depth and he just left port like 11" long at top and 5.5" at bottom lol i was like nooooooooo... after trying 3" i saw only thing that keep air velocity just under to high was 4" round port (he only has like 1.35cfad though so making port length was pain so round was way to go) here's a pic.. hopefully your won't be angled so op won't have his problems.. he just has to flare ends

actually, port being 18" long and box only 21" wide I should make some adjustments? 4" diameter port should have atleast 4" clearance between the end of port and a wall?

actually, port being 18" long and box only 21" wide I should make some adjustments? 4" diameter port should have atleast 4" clearance between the end of port and a wall?
idk how big wide u doing box but port can come out of box as far as u can long as it's blocked..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.