Building out system for a new car

Participant count
  • Participant list

bcdudley
10+ year member

I have been of stereos for a while. Everything I have been driving for the last few years has had a decent factory system. I just moved to a 2006 Trailblazer SS and it has a really crappy Bose cd changer with no aux in or BT. 99% of the time, I listen to Pandora and use Google maps.

I was looking on Amazon and came across some of the Android head units by either Pumpkin or Henhaoro that look fairly decent. They have a good feature set, pre-amp outs and some of them even have a slot for a sim card, eliminating the need for any tethering.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

If I go with one of these, I do not intend to keep the Bose amp or speakers. I really don't care about Onstar. What adapter do I really need? All of them that I have seen are to keep those 2 items and cost around $100. I would like to keep steering wheel controls if possible.

No responses, hmm. Well, I went ahead and 2 head units. I will take back whichever one I don't like. I bought a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and a Pumpkin Android 7.1. The Pioneer was significantly more, however the Android has a much better feature set. I am also thinking I can have a program on it that will text me gps coordinates either when it starts up or at regular intervals. At the very least, Google maps can track it's location. I will get them installed this weekend and see what I like better.

So I got the Android head unit installed and it is awesome. This thing has more features than any head unit I have ever seen. The sound, even with the Bose amp and speakers is 10x better. I took the Pioneer back because I just didn't think it would be able to compete.

I did use the PAC wiring harness and it was pretty easy. I soldered and heat shrinked all the connections. I don't have the steering wheel controls hooked up yet, but plan to next weekend.

So I got the Android head unit installed and it is awesome. This thing has more features than any head unit I have ever seen. The sound, even with the Bose amp and speakers is 10x better. I took the Pioneer back because I just didn't think it would be able to compete.
I did use the PAC wiring harness and it was pretty easy. I soldered and heat shrinked all the connections. I don't have the steering wheel controls hooked up yet, but plan to next weekend.
you going to add subs and stuff at all?

Yes. I am planning on replacing all the speakers, adding a sub and putting in a couple amps. Nothing to extreme, just a good sounding system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.