Noise in ACC wire from dash

Participant count
  • Participants list

mattkim1337

Hi, after many days of checking and moving my grounds around, I have finally found the source of my speaker whine. Originally, I had my Pioneer AVH-4200NEX connected to the factory ACC and ground harness. This caused speaker whine whenever I accelerated or braked (I'm driving a hybrid car). I temporarily rewired the headunit to run off the cigarette lighter +12V and ground, and all noise is completely gone. I'm happy that I discovered a workaround, but could anyone explain why the acc wire from the factory harness gave me speaker whine while the cigarette lighter did not?

Hi, after many days of checking and moving my grounds around, I have finally found the source of my speaker whine. Originally, I had my Pioneer AVH-4200NEX connected to the factory ACC and ground harness. This caused speaker whine whenever I accelerated or braked (I'm driving a hybrid car). I temporarily rewired the headunit to run off the cigarette lighter +12V and ground, and all noise is completely gone. I'm happy that I discovered a workaround, but could anyone explain why the acc wire from the factory harness gave me speaker whine while the cigarette lighter did not?
Noise is almost always an issue with a ground not the source signal. It honestly sounds like the unfortunate consequence of the vehicle being hybrid and maybe they didn't mitigate for noise under load properly?

I don't see any issues going forward with it wired the way you have it, but I am curious if grounding the headunit somewhere closer to the ground for the accessory ground or the computer would help

Is your ground for the headunit in the OEM harness or directly to sheet metal?

Noise is almost always an issue with a ground not the source signal. It honestly sounds like the unfortunate consequence of the vehicle being hybrid and maybe they didn't mitigate for noise under load properly?
I don't see any issues going forward with it wired the way you have it, but I am curious if grounding the headunit somewhere closer to the ground for the accessory ground or the computer would help

Is your ground for the headunit in the OEM harness or directly to sheet metal?
I tried grounding the head unit through both the factory harness wire and to bare sheet metal (using a multimeter to find a ground point) and I still had the whine.

I tried grounding the head unit through both the factory harness wire and to bare sheet metal (using a multimeter to find a ground point) and I still had the whine.
Is your car under any sort of warranty?

You might try posting in a forum specific to your car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.