Need suggestions on possible system

conquistador

Hello all

Went to my local shop and they recommended all JL Audio for my build. He suggested C5 coaxials in all doors, two amps, one TW3 and JL FIX. I want to be able to have time alignment and flat response eq done. Do i need the JL TWK as well?

What's your take on using coaxs in the front as opposed to components? Would components give you that much of a better sound stage? If we use components, do they have to be bi amped? Do I have to use a six channel amp to power twitters and woofers in the front, and the coaxs in the back? Then a separate amp for subwoofer.

Or can a 4 channel amp be used for the components and coaxs? Not sure if time alignment can be done properly that way.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

-thanks

I am assuming you are doing oem integration using the stock head unit? What is the total price they are charging you for all of the above parts? If you don't want to do the research and find your own parts and take them to the audio shop then I can see if you want to get everything through them. You can probably save some money if you buy the audio equipment yourself and or look into other brands. I am sure it will sound good, but are there other options yes. Some shops don't like it if you don't get the equipment through them, but its something I would look into before pulling the trigger.

I am assuming you are doing oem integration using the stock head unit? What is the total price they are charging you for all of the above parts? If you don't want to do the research and find your own parts and take them to the audio shop then I can see if you want to get everything through them. You can probably save some money if you buy the audio equipment yourself and or look into other brands. I am sure it will sound good, but are there other options yes. Some shops don't like it if you don't get the equipment through them, but its something I would look into before pulling the trigger.
Yes oem integration. I think he said $2700 plus installation. I agree it will be less expensive if I buy the parts on my own. He did say that because they’re an authorized jl dealer, if they use jl cable kits the warranty would be three years. Do you think this out weighs the benefit of buying the parts on my own?

if they use jl cable kits the warranty would be three years. Do you think this out weighs the benefit of buying the parts on my own?
Yes. JL makes fine quality equipment much of which is made in the USA. Be aware you're paying for JL's name, American manufacturing, plus a markup for the store. That said you're buying good quality, re-sale value, and supporting a business that will (or should) take care of you.

If you buy whatever else on Amazon and bring it to them, even if they will install (many shops won't) what happens if something fails? Will the remove and replace it? If they don't know the brand or didn't sell it, possibly not.... I wouldn't.

Don't let the DIY purists scare you away or tell you about "savings". There is value in going to a professional shop and buying from brick and mortar store... assuming it's a good and reputable shop.

I would suggest you forget about the back doors and just go for some higher end components up front and if you want time alignment and EQ flexibility best IMO is to buy a solid head unit with that built in. I can't vouch for outboard processing since I haven't personally seen any in person in ages (everyone who wants snobophile sound uses Pioneer DEX-P90RS or similar these days).

I don't know where this guy is in NY but you may reach out to him as well. This work looks spectacular.:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/635333-2006-lexus-rx330-build-log-first-build-new-location.html

Yes. JL makes fine quality equipment much of which is made in the USA. Be aware you're paying for JL's name, American manufacturing, plus a markup for the store. That said you're buying good quality, re-sale value, and supporting a business that will (or should) take care of you.
If you buy whatever else on Amazon and bring it to them, even if they will install (many shops won't) what happens if something fails? Will the remove and replace it? If they don't know the brand or didn't sell it, possibly not.... I wouldn't.

Don't let the DIY purists scare you away or tell you about "savings". There is value in going to a professional shop and buying from brick and mortar store... assuming it's a good and reputable shop.

I would suggest you forget about the back doors and just go for some higher end components up front and if you want time alignment and EQ flexibility best IMO is to buy a solid head unit with that built in. I can't vouch for outboard processing since I haven't personally seen any in person in ages (everyone who wants snobophile sound uses Pioneer DEX-P90RS or similar these days).

I don't know where this guy is in NY but you may reach out to him as well. This work looks spectacular.:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/635333-2006-lexus-rx330-build-log-first-build-new-location.html
excellent, thanks. I did have an 80-PRS in my previous car but in my current car (2012 MDX) custom work would be required (if it's even possible) to fit an aftermarket receiver.

So, you're saying forget about the back doors completely, no speakers and/or amplified signal?

Stock speakers are fine for the back doors. Off deck power. Rear is just for fill any way the 99 prs is a great deck. But with a $1000 tag on it critchfield did have them Also better components in the front doors and don’t forget the deadener If replacing the hu isn’t an option the yes a dsp is the way to go

Do you guys think C5 coaxs for the rear door is overkill? Would a pair of C1's be sufficient? Would that affect the sound stage?
most of us don't use rear speakers but if u do use cheap ones there better in front maybe even with more power to fronts.. yeah i bet dealer does what u to pay 43k for jl stuff when u can get as good or better for $1500.. jl over priced man it's like a woman loving $5,000 prada purse $11 one at walmart actually holds more lol.. we can show u tons of options besides jl and u can still get it installed at a shop..

most of us don't use rear speakers but if u do use cheap ones there better in front maybe even with more power to fronts.. yeah i bet dealer does what u to pay 43k for jl stuff when u can get as good or better for $1500.. jl over priced man it's like a woman loving $5,000 prada purse $11 one at walmart actually holds more lol.. we can show u tons of options besides jl and u can still get it installed at a shop..
All wrong, go back to staring at amps and guessing the 2 ohm rating.

Do you guys think C5 coaxs for the rear door is overkill? Would a pair of C1's be sufficient? Would that affect the sound stage?
dont spend anything on the rear. blow everything on the front stage leave the rear stock speakers on head unit power they do nothing other than kill your sound stage. I hope that shop plans on sealing off the door gaps turning the door into a proper enclosure with sheet metal along with deadening and making a proper baffle. It would be a complete waste of time if they skipped that crucial install part.

All wrong, go back to staring at amps and guessing the 2 ohm rating.
how is it all wrong? many of us don't use rear speakers.. and jl is very over priced (but i meant to say $3k worth of jl stuff $ came up as a 4) and many peeps run more power to fronts and rears off hu as someone else said too did u harass them?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.