Bought some Hertz speakers - and I hate them.

joem1cha3l
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Any suggestions? Purchased Hertz ESK 6.5's for the front and DSK 6.5's for the rear. Both components.

Im running the front at 120 HZ with -18db/slope

Im running the rear at 100 HZ with -18db slope

Subwoofer is being run at 80 Hz, but that sounds fine.

Amp is Infinity Kappa K4. I turned everything down to 0, turned HU up to 3/4 volume and tuned from there.

I just am not getting crisp sound. Wiring from HU to door is stock.

Wiring for amp is high end, good stuff.

Wiring for components is a random, cheap 16 gauge.

Any thoughts in particular? Running them in a 2016 Tundra. Head Unit is a Kenwood DDX374BT

HELP PLEASE BEFORE I TOSS THESE THINGS

Im not getting clean, crisp sound at all. Particularly in the mid range. Bass (whatever is left w those crossover levels) sounds like crap!

I haven't heard them in person but I also haven't heard anyone say a single good thing about the esk's. Also I dont know if its as common on the lower models but hertz is a heavily counterfeit speaker.

ESKs certainly arent a great set, but they are a good set.

120 is higher than id cross them, and -18 more sharp than id slope them.

Are your doors treated?

Any suggestions? Purchased Hertz ESK 6.5's for the front and DSK 6.5's for the rear. Both components.
Im running the front at 120 HZ with -18db/slope

Im running the rear at 100 HZ with -18db slope

Subwoofer is being run at 80 Hz, but that sounds fine.

Amp is Infinity Kappa K4. I turned everything down to 0, turned HU up to 3/4 volume and tuned from there.

I just am not getting crisp sound. Wiring from HU to door is stock.

Wiring for amp is high end, good stuff.

Wiring for components is a random, cheap 16 gauge.

Any thoughts in particular? Running them in a 2016 Tundra. Head Unit is a Kenwood DDX374BT

HELP PLEASE BEFORE I TOSS THESE THINGS

Im not getting clean, crisp sound at all. Particularly in the mid range. Bass (whatever is left w those crossover levels) sounds like crap!
so first thing, kenwood head units are a lot more mellow than pioneer which is very bright in your face midrange and sibilance in comparison, kenwood has a more mellowed out sound signature.

2nd, you need to show us your EQ curve, you might need to continually raise the gain and lower other EQ bands(besides the one that does what you need till you have a more flat sound.

so first thing, kenwood head units are a lot more mellow than pioneer which is very bright in your face midrange and sibilance in comparison, kenwood has a more mellowed out sound signature.
2nd, you need to show us your EQ curve, you might need to continually raise the gain and lower other EQ bands(besides the one that does what you need till you have a more flat sound.
Current settings are as such. The crossovers are the only thing I have set for a reason. Everything else (gain, tw freq, etc) are all done just to tune to my ear. I truly just think these speakers aren't good enough for what im looking for

AcrQfawl.jpg

o7Nu6LJl.jpg

2R0WMNll.jpg

xVDprukl.jpg

Current settings are as such. The crossovers are the only thing I have set for a reason. Everything else (gain, tw freq, etc) are all done just to tune to my ear. I truly just think these speakers aren't good enough for what im looking for

xVDprukl.jpg
dude no wonder you arent getting any crisp sound, you literally cut off all the frequencies that matter when it comes to crisp sound. Your EQ definitely needs proper work.

dude no wonder you arent getting any crisp sound, you literally cut off all the frequencies that matter when it comes to crisp sound. Your EQ definitely needs proper work.
Any chance you're willing to help? There isnt anyone local that can give me pointers. If you're willing to help via email or text, let me know. I'd happily paypal you some cash. I want to get this fixed.

Any chance you're willing to help? There isnt anyone local that can give me pointers. If you're willing to help via email or text, let me know. I'd happily paypal you some cash. I want to get this fixed.
start by putting your 2.5khz to 16khz back up to zero... find out what each one does by lowering or raising a lot. Typically the 10khz to 16khz dont ever need to get cut.

main_chart.jpg

start by putting your 2.5khz to 16khz back up to zero... find out what each one does by lowering or raising a lot. Typically the 10khz to 16khz dont ever need to get cut.
main_chart.jpg
I was getting blasted by my tweeters, so thats the reason I had them that low. Im certainly willing to try it again.

And its not just that my mids aren't there because of the settings.....theyre crackly and sloppy even at the settings I currently have. I feel like If I turn those up, it'll just get worse?

I also have my amp set to HPF on the fronts and rears and im tuned at that also. The more I read, should I set the amp to the Full setting since im tuning from the HU?

I also have my amp set to HPF on the fronts and rears and im tuned at that also. The more I read, should I set the amp to the Full setting since im tuning from the HU?
Yes to that question. No need to have the amplifier filters on when you have those set from the HU. Also check your speakers phase to make sure they’re all the same. I use AudioControls Mobile Tools App for this because it’s easy, reliable, and takes into account the whole food chain in the speaker wiring. It’s amazing the difference in sound when just one speaker is out of phase with the rest.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.