Amp Reccomendations for Memphis Mojo 12

Participant count
  • Participants list

suhbaru

Erie, PA
I was given a blown Memphis Mojo 12" 15-CM12D2, which I'm currently rebuilding. I'm very new to car audio, so can I have some suggestions as to what amp I should purchase for it? I have a 2006 subaru impreza wrx. Also, should I get a new alternator/battery for this setup?

So let me get this straight. Your new to car audio but rebuilding a sub?
As for an amp, what's your budget?
that does sound like an interesting combo.

Also, since youre rebuilding it, what does the coil call for rms? what impedance?

stock coil calls for 1500 rms

So let me get this straight. Your new to car audio but rebuilding a sub?
As for an amp, what's your budget?
Yes, I figured reconing a sub can't be that hard, and it would be a great way to learn about speakers. The kit wasn't too expensive and the sub cost me nothing, so I'm not going to be heartbroken if I break it. My budget is somewhere under $600. I'm looking for an amp that I can continue to use after I'm done with my mojo 12. I want it to have enough power to be able to use it on a stronger sub in the future, so there's room for a bigger sub without having to get a bigger amp.

You will want a 3k amp to get that thing moving good. That means upgrading the alt to a high output (200a minimum) and upgrading the main battery and even a second battery in the back. Subie's come with pretty weak alternators from the factory, you'd be lucky if that thing has a 100a alt.

You will want a 3k amp to get that thing moving good. That means upgrading the alt to a high output (200a minimum) and upgrading the main battery and even a second battery in the back. Subie's come with pretty weak alternators from the factory, you'd be lucky if that thing has a 100a alt.
my V6 EX (power everything) Accord came stock with a 105 alt... weak AF!!!

That actually works out great, because I think my alt or battery is shitting the bed. Sometimes (lately) my car starts, sometimes I need a jump, and my electricals even died for a sec while idling. What website do you recommend for high output alts and batteries?

Holy Crap is 8000 watts necessary? Is there a typical rule of thumb for how many watts you need in respect to your sub's rms?
go big or go home LoL

i only recommended that one for massive headroom. That thing wouldnt even be breaking a sweat, just keep the gain down

and not really, its very hard to overpower a sub, but its super easy to over drive a sub or clip it to death

That actually works out great, because I think my alt or battery is shitting the bed. Sometimes (lately) my car starts, sometimes I need a jump, and my electricals even died for a sec while idling. What website do you recommend for high output alts and batteries?
Mechman Alternators | Made in the U.S.A High Output Alternators | Call 1-888-MECHMAN for the alts and youd be surprised how many folks sell them on here, or GP CAR AUDIO Ground & Power Ground Pounder has alts and batts.

go big or go home LoL
i only recommended that one for massive headroom. That thing wouldnt even be breaking a sweat, just keep the gain down

and not really, its very hard to overpower a sub, but its super easy to over drive a sub or clip it to death

Mechman Alternators | Made in the U.S.A High Output Alternators | Call 1-888-MECHMAN for the alts and youd be surprised how many folks sell them on here, or GP CAR AUDIO Ground & Power Ground Pounder has alts and batts.
I'd like to go above and beyond what the mojo needs, but I don't think I need to go that over. When I said I want to leave room for bigger subs, I meant maybe a 2500 or 3000 watt. It looks Mechman does not have any subaru alts. I could get one of their universals, but how would I know if it will fit? Are GP batteries better than XS power?

GP is as good as XS Power. Try contacting Ohio Generator for an alternator.
I would contact them right now, but I do not know how big of an amp I will be getting, so I don't know how many amps I would ask them for in an alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.