Please help with alternator

CarCulture239

Hi im putting together a system before i buy it and i want 2 Sundown SA-15 D4 V3 subs, Orion xtr1500d.1 amp, and i was wondering how many amps i need my alternator to be. I have a 2004 mercury mountaineer 4.6 v8, and i think it has a 130 amp alternator. Im going to do a big 3 upgrade, and put in a kinetic hc2400 battery as a secondary battery. I know i need a high output amp please help me out with this i cant figure it out.

Hi im putting together a system before i buy it and i want 2 Sundown SA-15 D4 V3 subs, Orion xtr1500d.1 amp, and i was wondering how many amps i need my alternator to be. I have a 2004 mercury mountaineer 4.6 v8, and i think it has a 130 amp alternator. Im going to do a big 3 upgrade, and put in a kinetic hc2400 battery as a secondary battery. I know i need a high output amp please help me out with this i cant figure it out.
You playing music or test tones?.. I believe you'll be OK with just that second battery... but any upgraded alt will be like money in the bank... and if you pound the h*ll out of some rebassed stuff doin' demo type sessions that upgraded alt will be a blessing... you're right at the power level to see improvement from any upgrades IMO... I'd just try it and see.

And when you upgrade the amp...and with those SA-15's it seems to be a definite possibility (you can go to a 2.5K amp easily btw)... a nice 200-250A alt will be what you need then... but for now IMHO you'll be fine... box those 15's right and power them nice and you'll be grinnin'... I love those SA's

I hate to be the only person posting... but it IS Monday morning... what I was saying about those SA-15's being able to handle more power... that XTR 1500.1 is just enough to be adequate...

And that's a REAL 3K amp in the video... Draw your own conclusions... box em right and that SUV of yours will slam!.. tune low and go big!.. you'll need an alt for sure then and at least 1 extra battery...do your electrical FIRST... $$$ is gonna get spent anyways (we ALL upgrade).. I'm assuming it is not a SQ build tho... lol

Well i decided to go with the sundown scv2000d for the amp after careful thought. Its a lot pricier, but will be a better match and a better quality than the orion. Thank you guys for the quick responses, but to answer your questions im kinda in between spl and sq, what i mean is that i will be using the subs for my music, but i want them to shake my car apart. Im not going to do any competitions, but i want them to be loud for me. I found a company that make an alternator for my exact vehicle, 120 amps at idle and 220+ at 1200 rpm from a company called power bastards. Im going to run an xs power d3400 as my secondary battery in the back,which is what my equiptment will be hooked up to, and im just gonna run a power and ground from the front battery to it. I will need help with the box design too, thats gonna be the biggest challenge, not because i dont have the room, but i just have absolutely no idea where to start. I know i need around 7 cubic feet for both of these in a ported box for around 32-35 hz, and was wondering if anyone could help with that, as im most likely going to have to build it myself. Thank you guys so much for the quick responses, and im sorry to turn thia into a multi question thread but i just really need the help and you guys seem happy to help. Thanks in advance

Only companies getting my money is excessive amperage and Ohio gen for an alternator.

And U need more then 7cubic feet. U need like 8cubes after displacement at a minimum. That’s a pretty dang big box.and XS power 3400 is a nice batt but u can buy a Duracell AGM professional battery g31 for about $180 and it’s better then the xs power 3400

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea on where to score a box like that? Or maybe a blueprint? Sorry ive never made a box before, and i know if you mess it up you pretty much have to start from scratch...space isnt a concern i have a mercury mountaineer 7 seater, the 3rd row is always down and its empty and thats where im gonna put the box, and the next vehicl3 i get is gonna be a ford excursion so even less worry about space there. Whats a good design website to find a dual 15 ported box with 8 cubes? Thanks for the answers

Are sa15s bad for sq? Im just using them for personal enjoyment but i want them to destroy my hearing. The sa15 is a well renowned sub, should i look elsewhere for a sq sub? I dont want them to sound like crap after all the work im putting in. Thanks

Okay so i talked to jon from ces, and he told me their alternator for my vehicle will peak at 1800 rpm, while thenone from power bastard will peak at 1200, it seems like a no brainer but idk if the 1200 rpm peak is accurate...

[quote name='CarCulture239']Any idea on where to score a box like that? Or maybe a blueprint? Sorry ive never made a box before, and i know if you mess it up you pretty much have to start from scratch...space isnt a concern i have a mercury mountaineer 7 seater, the 3rd row is always down and its empty and thats where im gonna put the box, and the next vehicl3 i get is gonna be a ford excursion so even less worry about space there. Whats a good design website to find a dual 15 ported box with 8 cubes? Thanks for the answers[/QUOTE]

Hit up @shredder2 for a design...I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting you something good and will slam nice.

As far as alts go Jonathan Patrick is definitely the way to go ! Here’s two hairpin 300 amp s he made me
63003ff22b8af22f82ce3f24a7fd56c0.jpg

The two blue ones and there just for stereo the eBay ho for truck electrical will be replaced with another one soon. He definitely knows his stuff and you will be very happy with him !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.