Sound treating doors (what fasteners work best?) and who has additional tips and tric

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
Dallas
So I’ve seen the videos with the guys using the threaded inserts, but like most people I don’t have that tool laying around...

What are some good alternatives to this method to fasten materials to your doors?

Although it’s probably not recommended, I’m going to use some treated and sealed MDF, so I’m particularly interested in the best ways to fasten that material to my door...

Any additional tips, tricks and tactics to sound deadening would be greatly appreciated... I see no reason to not sit back and patiently sound treating the **** out of your vehicle if the materials aren’t over priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be a bit scared of MDF just due to the fact of it holding water if you are talking about a big spot to cover holes in the door. There I'd go with plexiglass as far as mounting that's a damned good question

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

I'd be a bit scared of MDF just due to the fact of it holding water if you are talking about a big spot to cover holes in the door. There I'd go with plexiglass as far as mounting that's a damned good question
Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
people use mdf for that all the time. Birch would probably be better for the water issue tho

I used 3/8 ABS with 5/16" -1/2" self tapping screws and sealed around that with silicone, and used two layers of 80 mill deadner rolled on with a heat gun to make sure she stays STUCK to the door, after cleaning with alcohol and placed as much on the inside panel as well. Mark and pre-drill with a countersink bit works well also.

Thanks for the replies... I don’t have the “like” or “thank you” button on the app I use, but I really appreciate all the replies to questions I ask... I know many of them are “elementary”, but it’s fun to be over detailed and meticulous about this stuff... it’s fun to talk about and do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.