Sound Dampening “alternatives”

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
Dallas
Has anyone here experimenting with using alternative (cheap) sound deadening material, such as peel and seal, frost king, u-seal, etc?

I do have several square feet of Dynamat, but I just can’t see how this stuff would not be great additional back up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Other than perhaps not being ideal to mounting in a vehicle, From a physics perspective, this is massloading just like any other material would be as far as decreasing resonance/vibration.

Other than perhaps not being ideal to mounting in a vehicle, From a physics perspective, this is massloading just like any other material would be as far as decreasing resonance/vibration.

i have a roll something like that., it's on back of my trunk lid., it's coming loose.. also they say when it gets hot it melt runs down and makes a mess.. gp audio stfu mat is expensive but 250 mil thick and goes on easy as he1l and stays.. theres a pic of trunk lid in my gallery has silver stuff u talking about in middle and good stuff on either side, gonna get 3 more sheets stfu someday..

It stinks, It doesn't stick, the foil is to thin, it *****. Trust me I tried this stuff like 9 years ago when it got popular.. Not worth it one bit.
did you see my fatmat post? how is that stuff? I ordered a 5 sq ft package with a roller and cutter just to see if it helps at all

did you see my fatmat post? how is that stuff? I ordered a 5 sq ft package with a roller and cutter just to see if it helps at all
I did not. I think Stinger Roadkill is the best bang for buck. My buddy swears by the NVX deadener as well.

I have reconsidered my thoughts and it is worth waiting to do this properly with the best available so I will be going with the 250mil GP Car Audio deadener
Good idea!

I was in your shoes a few moths ago when I was planning this build, I watched some YouTube vid and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble to go cheap, and who wants their ride to smell like roofing tar?

I ordered the suv kit of sound mat when I bought my amp and subs from soundqubed. (I decided to not be cheap)

I've done the doors so far and it's .......just WOW!!!! 100% improvement. Door speakers sound a lot better, Think I picked up more volume, and ride noise is down.

I'll do the rest of my truck on warm days when I have extra time.

Cost more than I wanted to spend but it is totally worth it and if I have a next build the sound mat will be part of build from the start.

I have reconsidered my thoughts and it is worth waiting to do this properly with the best available so I will be going with the 250mil GP Car Audio deadener
it's very good, just heat it a little and it goes right up and conforms well..

Even the seeming “proponents” of the cheap hardware store material, tend to agree...

The cheap stuff takes so many layers and so much labor, that premium material is the best choice in the end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.