HardcoreBob

Sound Dampening “alternatives”

Has anyone here experimenting with using alternative (cheap) sound deadening material, such as peel and seal, frost king, u-seal, etc?

I do have several square feet of Dynamat, but I just can’t see how this stuff would not be great additional back up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't do it...

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

Don't do it...

What are the cons of using this stuff?

Other than perhaps not being ideal to mounting in a vehicle, From a physics perspective, this is massloading just like any other material would be as far as decreasing resonance/vibration.

Other than perhaps not being ideal to mounting in a vehicle, From a physics perspective, this is massloading just like any other material would be as far as decreasing resonance/vibration.

i have a roll something like that., it's on back of my trunk lid., it's coming loose.. also they say when it gets hot it melt runs down and makes a mess.. gp audio stfu mat is expensive but 250 mil thick and goes on easy as he1l and stays.. theres a pic of trunk lid in my gallery has silver stuff u talking about in middle and good stuff on either side, gonna get 3 more sheets stfu someday..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

What are the cons of using this stuff?

It stinks, It doesn't stick, the foil is to thin, it *****. Trust me I tried this stuff like 9 years ago when it got popular.. Not worth it one bit.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

It stinks, It doesn't stick, the foil is to thin, it *****. Trust me I tried this stuff like 9 years ago when it got popular.. Not worth it one bit.

did you see my fatmat post? how is that stuff? I ordered a 5 sq ft package with a roller and cutter just to see if it helps at all

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

Peal and seal is garbage. Im not a huge fan of fatmat either.

Cheapest id use is nvx or roadkill

Team Flex Issues

JVF Customz

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

did you see my fatmat post? how is that stuff? I ordered a 5 sq ft package with a roller and cutter just to see if it helps at all

I did not. I think Stinger Roadkill is the best bang for buck. My buddy swears by the NVX deadener as well.

I have reconsidered my thoughts and it is worth waiting to do this properly with the best available so I will be going with the 250mil GP Car Audio deadener

I have reconsidered my thoughts and it is worth waiting to do this properly with the best available so I will be going with the 250mil GP Car Audio deadener

Good idea!

I was in your shoes a few moths ago when I was planning this build, I watched some YouTube vid and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble to go cheap, and who wants their ride to smell like roofing tar?

I ordered the suv kit of sound mat when I bought my amp and subs from soundqubed. (I decided to not be cheap)

I've done the doors so far and it's .......just WOW!!!! 100% improvement. Door speakers sound a lot better, Think I picked up more volume, and ride noise is down.

I'll do the rest of my truck on warm days when I have extra time.

Cost more than I wanted to spend but it is totally worth it and if I have a next build the sound mat will be part of build from the start.

08 ext cab z71

Hu pioneer avh-8500........prs80

Mechman 320 and a Gp 370 with dual alt bracket

northstar 34 and 480 with gp terminals for both

Ton of ofc 2/0 and smd fuse blocks

Soundqubed hdc4 12's

Soundqubed 6.5's two sets

crescendo concerto c1100.4

Sound digital evo 12k

I used noico its 80mil , no smell, no mess, sticks, *survived yexas heat

its not 250mil by no means but does the trick

it's very good, just heat it a little and it goes right up and conforms well..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

the correct answer

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

Even the seeming “proponents” of the cheap hardware store material, tend to agree...

The cheap stuff takes so many layers and so much labor, that premium material is the best choice in the end.

i have a roll something like that., it's on back of my trunk lid., it's coming loose.. also they say when it gets hot it melt runs down and makes a mess.. gp audio stfu mat is expensive but 250 mil thick and goes on easy as he1l and stays.. theres a pic of trunk lid in my gallery has silver stuff u talking about in middle and good stuff on either side, gonna get 3 more sheets stfu someday..

Yeah after going back and forth I went with this stuff myself. It is a bit more pricey but I want to do it once and be done with it for good.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now