2006 Mercury Montego Build And Suggestions

Falco78
10+ year member

I am looking to finally get to installing the stereo in my 2006 Mercury Montego. So far for what I have is just the 2 Pierce Audio WMD 1K 4ohmDVC subs. I am seeking some advice for a nice upgrade path and my thoughts so far are a (If any better options please let me know)

Orion XTR2500.1DZ (Does rated so I wouldn't be pushing it to capacity)

Orion XTR1000.4 (See above but I am open to other amps if they fit the bill and are same cost or cheaper)

Noico 80mil Sound Deadener (seems to be pretty good for the doors at the price, how much will I need for each of the doors roughly and how much for the trunk?)

Mechman 240amp Alternator (Possibly a GP Car Audio alternator)

Now for the remaining items I am in need of are a decent

I should add that trunk space is not huge. I will have to get my subs, box, battery and my aps back there even though I am hoping I can possibly get one of my amps under the front seat. Also for the doors I was thinking of using this eggcrate foam since it is waterproof and 1/2" to go in the doors behind each of the speakers once the inner and outer sound deadening is finished. Would this be a good idea and product or should I look at something else? http://www.foamforyou.com/out_door_foam.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about going active with my front components any information on how it works and recommendations on items needed would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about going active with my front components any information on how it works and recommendations on items needed would be greatly appreciated.
You will need to pick a head unit or amp(s) with crossovers that give you control over the mid to tweeter crossover points. There's only a handful of HUs that are set up for this or you could get a higher quality multichannel amp to cross over your components.

As far as the rest of your thoughts. Orion amps are pretty low end but people seem to have a stiffy for them around here these days. I very much like JBL/Infinity for components and coaxials, but there's dozens of options that'll largely come down to personal preference. Don't get so hung up on a big power handling number on your fronts. There's very little to be gained between 75W and 125W besides bragging rights and limiting your options. Most of the components that can actually withstand a lot of power do so at the expense of efficiency so you wind up in the same place as far as output with a lower powered and more efficient set anyway.

You will need to pick a head unit or amp(s) with crossovers that give you control over the mid to tweeter crossover points. There's only a handful of HUs that are set up for this or you could get a higher quality multichannel amp to cross over your components.
As far as the rest of your thoughts. Orion amps are pretty low end but people seem to have a stiffy for them around here these days. I very much like JBL/Infinity for components and coaxials, but there's dozens of options that'll largely come down to personal preference. Don't get so hung up on a big power handling number on your fronts. There's very little to be gained between 75W and 125W besides bragging rights and limiting your options. Most of the components that can actually withstand a lot of power do so at the expense of efficiency so you wind up in the same place as far as output with a lower powered and more efficient set anyway.
Valid points and thanks for the info. As far as amp for the door speakers/components with the ability to control mid/tweeter crossover points do you have anything you would personally recommend?

Valid points and thanks for the info. As far as amp for the door speakers/components with the ability to control mid/tweeter crossover points do you have anything you would personally recommend?
Likely nothing in your budget or currently in production. I really don't know what's out there these days but I'm pretty confident any of the "budget" stuff or low to mid tier big box store brands won't give you big flexibility on the crossover section. So you're looking at Pioneer PRS-80 or similar head unit with x-over features (a rather short list) or doing it on an amp. You could buy outboard crossover/processor but they're virtually obsolete anymore IMO.

Perhaps someone can chime in with a full list of head units that would do active or some reasonably priced amps that have powerful front-end options.

I have already decided I am going to up my budget some as I want to do it once and not have to repurchase items down the road. I have already decided that I will be going with GP 250mil sound deadener/dampener for the doors and trunks (later the rest of the car) along with egg crate foam behind the speakers. Head unit I am going to go with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX that meets most of my needs. Speaker wise is the only thing I am still debating on whether or not to go active or just go with a higher end set of passive components for the front and a set of coaxials for the rear as my children do enjoy the sound too. I have decided to increase my budget for the front components to something in the $500-600 range and whatever it may cost for the rear coaxials. I am also wondering if something like the CDT HD line components would be comparable to the more expensive Morel/Focal/Hertz?I am willing to spend the extra but if the difference in SQ is not that much then why blow money just to blow money.

Also what specific amps would be recommended from the JBL/Infinity lines?

I have done more and more research on active setups and I would rather admit to my limitations and say that it is something I am not very comfortable/confident in doing. So I think I will have to stick with a passive crossover component set for the front stage.

Yep, you would need six amp channels in order to run the front active. Nothing wrong with passive crossovers.

There are a ton of options in your price range. I would look at JL Audio and Hybrid Audio first, they have really strong products in that price range.

I wound up getting an MB Quart 1600.4 amp for almost nothing so that will be powering my door speakers for awhile. Not the top of the line or anywhere close to it, but it should more than comfortably power the front/rear speakers.

Ok after much thought I have decided I will be installing an older set of components I have while I am piecing together an active setup. Here is where I can use some guidance. For the 6.5 mids I am looking at the following

-PRV Audio 6MR500-NDY-4 https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-6mr500-ndy-4-6-1-2-neodymium-midrange-woofer-4-ohm--294-2706

-Sundown Audio NeoPro-6.5 V3 Sundown Audio NeoPro-6.5 V3 6.5" 180W RMS 4-Ohm Carbon Fiber Midrange Speaker (Pair)

-Silver Flute W17RC38-04 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

-Crescendo PWX PWX 6.5" Midrange Speaker - Crescendo Audio

-SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/sb-acoustics-woofers-6-7/sb-acoustics-sb17nrxc35-4-6.5-woofer/

-Dayton Audio DCS165-4 https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dcs165-4-6-1-2-classic-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-198

As far as tweeters for the front I am thinking of the following ones

-Dayton Audio AMT3-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amt3-4-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-4-ohm--275-093

-Peerless by Tymphany NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-ne25vts-04-1-silk-dome-tweeter--264-1034

-SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tffnc/g-h1396-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

I am very open to other options as well. What are your thoughts on the different options and why? It will be used for my daily driver and I am looking for loud/clean/full range sound. I think I might be going with the MiniDSP C-6x8 and the microphone for my tuning needs. https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/c-dsp-6x8

For the power I will have a clean 175-180 watts per channel for the front and rear doors and about 60 watts for the tweeters. I have also decided to go with a bigger alternator from GP Car Audio 320amp. I am still going to stay with my Pierce Audio Series 1K 10's for now but will be going a bit bigger with the amp as I do intend to move to the Pierce Audio Series 2K 12's once I see how the setup works out.

You are kind of all over with your driver selection. You have a mix of PRO drivers which are SPL oriented, a subwoofer with the Dayton and 2 nice midbass drivers in the Silver Flutes and SB acoustics. I would rule out that Dayton since its a subwoofer. So now you have to decide are you wanting a SPL leaning build or a Sound Quality leaning build. If SPL is the goal then the Sundown or Crescendos would be what I would select. IF SQ the the SB Acoustics would be my choice of those other 2 drivers. If you go with the SPL drivers then you will need to look at Pro tweeters as well.

I got a quote to get some of the install done as work has had me swamped and it doesn't seem that is going to end anytime soon. Not too bad of a price and the shop has some good reviews. I did decide I need to add in the price of a decent alarm and remote start with all the money I am throwing into this project.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I got a quote to get some of the install done as work has had me swamped and it doesn't seem that is going to end anytime soon. Not too bad of a price and the shop has some good reviews. I did decide I need to add in the price of a decent alarm and remote start with all the money I am throwing into this project.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ever decide on mids/highs/subs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.