New headunit. Lower volume/sound quality

Justin000

Canada
I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S. $1,000 head unit...

The new head unit is about half the volume and half the sound quality of the stock head unit. At 75% volume the heat and road noise drown out the stereo.

I've installed at least a couple dozen head units before and never had any issues of lower volume and worse quality.

The new head unit says 4-8 ohms, my trucks speakers (stock) are all 4ohms.

I’ve double checked all my wires, nothing is out of phase, or connected poorly.

I’m seriously about to return this headunit and go install my old $65 pioneer headunit from my work truck. At least that HU didn’t botch my system.

Any suggestions/explanations?

My vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, no Bose, no dash speaker, no factory amp (99% sure about the amp), tweeters on the front columns, 6.5s in the 4 doors.

I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S. $1,000 head unit...
The new head unit is about half the volume and half the sound quality of the stock head unit. At 75% volume the heat and road noise drown out the stereo.

I've installed at least a couple dozen head units before and never had any issues of lower volume and worse quality.

The new head unit says 4-8 ohms, my trucks speakers (stock) are all 4ohms.

I’ve double checked all my wires, nothing is out of phase, or connected poorly.

I’m seriously about to return this headunit and go install my old $65 pioneer headunit from my work truck. At least that HU didn’t botch my system.

Any suggestions/explanations?

My vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, no Bose, no dash speaker, no factory amp (99% sure about the amp), tweeters on the front columns, 6.5s in the 4 doors.
could be that the unit you got was mainly intended to be a dead head and therefore has a weaker internal amp. Those lower end units have decent internal amps as theyre not usually run with an amp hence their 2 volt pre outs

also, its not a $1000 deck, its available for $550 on amazon

Turns out the Maestro module I was using had inline resistors on the speaker wire. I cut them out and all was fixed. Just in case someone else had a similar issue.

I was only using this headunits internal amp with the stock speakers until I had a chance to install the rest of my system. I live in Canada and we get like 2 feet of snow every week so I’m not very motivated to go work outside lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.