Sign in to follow this  
Justin000

New headunit. Lower volume/sound quality

I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S. $1,000 head unit...

The new head unit is about half the volume and half the sound quality of the stock head unit. At 75% volume the heat and road noise drown out the stereo.

I've installed at least a couple dozen head units before and never had any issues of lower volume and worse quality.

The new head unit says 4-8 ohms, my trucks speakers (stock) are all 4ohms.

I’ve double checked all my wires, nothing is out of phase, or connected poorly.

I’m seriously about to return this headunit and go install my old $65 pioneer headunit from my work truck. At least that HU didn’t botch my system.

Any suggestions/explanations?

My vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, no Bose, no dash speaker, no factory amp (99% sure about the amp), tweeters on the front columns, 6.5s in the 4 doors.

I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood Excelon DDX6904S. $1,000 head unit...

The new head unit is about half the volume and half the sound quality of the stock head unit. At 75% volume the heat and road noise drown out the stereo.

I've installed at least a couple dozen head units before and never had any issues of lower volume and worse quality.

The new head unit says 4-8 ohms, my trucks speakers (stock) are all 4ohms.

I’ve double checked all my wires, nothing is out of phase, or connected poorly.

I’m seriously about to return this headunit and go install my old $65 pioneer headunit from my work truck. At least that HU didn’t botch my system.

Any suggestions/explanations?

My vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, no Bose, no dash speaker, no factory amp (99% sure about the amp), tweeters on the front columns, 6.5s in the 4 doors.

could be that the unit you got was mainly intended to be a dead head and therefore has a weaker internal amp. Those lower end units have decent internal amps as theyre not usually run with an amp hence their 2 volt pre outs

also, its not a $1000 deck, its available for $550 on amazon

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

It's got 22 watts x4 so you should be good on watts. I've got the ddx6702s and never had any volume issues.

Kenwood 6702s

Fosgate component 6.5s T2652-s front/T1693 6x9s rear

Ohio generator 300amp alt

2 XS power 3100d

1 run 4 OTT and 1 run 4 gauge OFC power

HCCA 8000.1 sub amp. audiopipe 2004 mids and highs

2 dual ohm 12" 2,500 watt HCCAs

Custom box tuned to 36 hertz

Turns out the Maestro module I was using had inline resistors on the speaker wire. I cut them out and all was fixed. Just in case someone else had a similar issue.

If you using this decks internal amp you need to catch your head

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

I'll give you 350 for it right now

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

$1000 HU? It better wipe my *** for me

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

so much expensive for a HU. But the quality is so *****. You better to try this HU just $259 and way better than Pioneer and Kenwood https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF

Better than Pioneer and Kenwood in what way? Have you done side by side testing against link provided? I would not get that no name HU just because of the flashy colors/bright screen.

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

I was only using this headunits internal amp with the stock speakers until I had a chance to install the rest of my system. I live in Canada and we get like 2 feet of snow every week so I’m not very motivated to go work outside lol.

so much expensive for a HU. But the quality is so *****. You better to try this HU just $259 and way better than Pioneer and Kenwood https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-A62721P-Entertainment-Multimedia/dp/B075W9GMPF

It’s internal amp is rated at 10% THD. GFY

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

Zapco ST-4X SQ, ST-1000XMii

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Alpine SPX Pro ring radiators

Hertz HV165XL

Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

This guy again?.. lol

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-unit-reviews/630535-recommendation-please.html

Are you human?

My Alpine HU is 50X4 but I turned off the hu amp because I’m pushing it with a JBL amp now and it sounds killer to me.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this