Single 18 on 12k

oldschoolboomer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
My son is currently running a DC level 6 18 on a Hertz HP6001. It was previously in a dc3.5k which was not nearly enough amp for the sub. The HP6001 was a huge improvement, but I still think the sub can handle more. I ordered him a Soundigital sd12kd yesterday. I'm not sure how the sub will handle 12k. Is there any single sub that can?

That hertz amp is like a 3k amp... the dc 3.5k should have powered a dc lvl6 nicely... sounds like it’s more of an install problem then a amp problem. You will most likely blow that woofer in a min if you open up a SD 12k on it and go ham.

It does more than 5k. I dont use two 150 amp fuses and that does not limit the amp to 3k anyway. I also didn't say it wasn't "booming". It does 152+ sealed at the dash. I just believe it still has more to give. My question was about a single 18 that can handle 12k daily. There are vids on youtube of single level 6 18's on 9k and 20k. I was looking for other suggestions, not comments questioning my equipment or installation skills.

You can do it.

Put the sub level on the HU in the negatives if you're going to run a 12k amp to that sub.

Just make sure your son's nose is working because he could cook that sub ezpz.

It does more than 5k. I dont use two 150 amp fuses and that does not limit the amp to 3k anyway. I also didn't say it wasn't "booming". It does 152+ sealed at the dash. I just believe it still has more to give. My question was about a single 18 that can handle 12k daily. There are vids on youtube of single level 6 18's on 9k and 20k. I was looking for other suggestions, not comments questioning my equipment or installation skills.
Those designs are known for a lot of impedance rise. But not many woofers will take a 12k even with a good deal of rise.

Do me a favor go measure voltage and amperage at 35,45, 55 and 65 Hertz. Last set up I seen what a level 6 had about 3 on Mirage rising from half ohm to three and a half ohm.

152 in a wall or is that in a trunk?

I’m sure that it can be done. Don’t think it’ll take it 100% of the time

But some short demos should be okay....maybe lol. Friend of mine had a stetsom 11K to each of his level 5 team DC subs and they took it for years. Comps and he would do demos at shows.

It is in a ford edge cargo area. I haven't confirmed the impedance rise, but I have heard that the level 6 in recommended (small) box volume has a lot of rise. I am counting on some to keep me above 1 ohm when it is wired at 0.7. I have also heard the Brazilian amps don't like impedance below rated.

My son is currently running a DC level 6 18 on a Hertz HP6001. It was previously in a dc3.5k which was not nearly enough amp for the sub. The HP6001 was a huge improvement, but I still think the sub can handle more. I ordered him a Soundigital sd12kd yesterday. I'm not sure how the sub will handle 12k. Is there any single sub that can?
Continuous or short bursts? Because yeah good luck...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKs86mRsDw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.