a big enclosure.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

adio
5,000+ posts

THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!
is it possible to make a large enclosure just out of fiberglass to save on weight??? im thinking of an enclosure for a sealed 21 sub but the weight of the box alone (birch)...... gatdam. this would be for a HT setup....thanks

Yea anything is possible with fiberglass, it's just time consuming. I was just watching youtube vids of fiberglassing the other day. It looks totally doable. Do you plan on moving the sub around alot or something? I already feel birch is light enough and don't see the point of fiberglassing unless you want a specific shape. I would imagine the sub being way heavier than the box anyway.

is it possible to make a large enclosure just out of fiberglass to save on weight??? im thinking of an enclosure for a sealed 21 sub but the weight of the box alone (birch)...... gatdam. this would be for a HT setup....thanks

Arauco ply is much much better than baltic birch in terms of lightness and is not far off in terms of strength, might want to look into that.

Fiberglass alone, I'm not sure how that would withstand the resonance from the sub....and esp a high power one, if you plan on feeding a lot of power. Maybe brace it?

IF it were up to me, I'd get some baltic birch and go from there. More $$ than mdf or any other wood but it's lightweight. Perhaps take a look at some birch wood at your local lumber store, Not Lowes or HD.

thanks all....I was thinking 8.5 - 9 cuft WITH bracing. I was over at home theater shack and saw somebody building a sealed box for a 21 and he was guessing with its all said and done the box ITSELF would be close to 200lbs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif :eek:

thanks all....I was thinking 8.5 - 9 cuft WITH bracing. I was over at home theater shack and saw somebody building a sealed box for a 21 and he was guessing with its all said and done the box ITSELF would be close to 200lbs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif :eek:
meh when you can deadlift and farmer's carry 500, you should have no problems with a 200lb box. He probably used MDF. your weight will be more like 65lbs plus the sub with ply.

Were they using mdf, as Jeff said?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.