Sign in to follow this  
Shadowborg

What ohm load is this?

I cracked open an old mtx thunderform box I had laying around today, and discovered some crazy wiring. Someone put two MTX Thunder 6000 DVC 4ohm subs in it, and wired only one voice coil from each to the outputs on the box. Subs aren't connected to each other. What ohm load would this present to an amp?

Here's a pic of the back of one of the subs (The other sub is wired the same way):

https://i.imgur.com/JnYmsbx.jpg

And here's the back of the output terminal where the wires meet:

https://i.imgur.com/wU5iWIu.jpg

2 ohm load... and yes the subs are connected together at the terminal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Budget Beater Blazer Build... Lookin' for those Basshead Problems!

So this would just act like 2 SVC 4 ohm subs wired in parallel? Didnt think you could do that with 2 DVC 4 ohm subs. Most sources act as if you have to use both voice coils and can either have a final impedence of 4 or 1 ohm.

Yep... that's about it... I'd check out the unused coils... maybe one is blown... maybe someone was matching loads to a particular amp... needless to say all coils connected to a proper amp would sound best... 4 or 1 ohm final load

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Budget Beater Blazer Build... Lookin' for those Basshead Problems!

All coils connected will increase the power handling to where it was meant to be... also your sensitivity... no brainer

Do you know if using only one coil will cut the RMS of the subs? They are rated at 250w RMS each. My amp can do 400w RMS @ 4ohms and 600w RMS @ 2ohms. Leaving it at 2 ohms sounds like the way to go, but if the RMS is cut, would I be better off wiring it to 4 ohms?

I'd wire it at 4 ohms... the sensitivity will increase... it's still 200w per driver

Power handling is reduced when only using one coil of a dvc. The subs will also gain sensitivity when both coils are used ( which means the subs will be louder ). Use all of the coils and wire for 4 ohms.

digital designs 9512h with cf cap

sundown saz 3000d at 2 ohms

meca legal 141.3 db on the headrest with a 34hz tuned daily box

Awesome. Thanks guys. Im a noob at this stuff, and the DVC thing kinda threw me for a loop.

Just out of pure curiosity... got any pics of the box?... a really efficient box will make those subs come alive on 400w

sealed then... I thought so... ported is more efficient... if it goes in your car get one built... those are not bad drivers... on 400 watts they'll do all-right in a ported box... it's subjective though... some people prefer sealed...

I know ported is louder and more efficient, but I listen to a lot of metal and stuff with fast kick drums. Isn't the rule sealed = tighter and more responsive and ported = louder but sloppier?

Yep... that's the rule...but since your trying to make due with less power... try tuning to 36-38 hz ... remember those are only 10's... 400 watts only... I'd be trying for an efficient box... course that's just me

I know ported is louder and more efficient, but I listen to a lot of metal and stuff with fast kick drums. Isn't the rule sealed = tighter and more responsive and ported = louder but sloppier?

no, its not the rule.. lol thats a myth thats perpetuated by those who know little about enclosure design

the "rule" is that a box ported and tuned properly for the vehicle and driver will output more and sound however you want it to.. within reason

the complication of properly porting a driver for ones needs is what leads people to believe that sealed is better for tight punchy bass... in that case sealed may be better

Edited by wew lad

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this