Quantum Amplifier Impedance Mix

Participant count
  • Participants list

titanbangle

mx
Good day Friends of Caraudio, today I am upset because I have a question with the audio of my car, I have a QE2400.4 Quantum Amplifier, it is a 4-channel amplifier, I am currently using it with 2 speakers 6x9 pioneer 230W max @ 4 Ω and I was thinking about acquiring a pair of Pionner subwoofers ts-w260d4 of 350 W RMS and double coil and 4 Ω, but when reading the characteristics of the Ampli I am a doubt, the information is the following:

4 x 125 Watts @ 4 Ohm Stereo

4 x 250 Watts @ 2 Ohm Stereo

2 x 750 Watts @ 4 Ohm Bridged

my question is, can I leave the speakers working as usual until 4 Ω at 125W on two channels and on the other two add the subwoofer at 2 Ω and work with the 4 at the same time? Is it possible to work like this? What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance.

You might be better off getting a mono amp to power those subs with and just use that 4 ch amp to power your speakers with.

Btw, those Quantum amps are a joke for ratings.

Good day Friends of Caraudio, today I am upset because I have a question with the audio of my car, I have a QE2400.4 Quantum Amplifier, it is a 4-channel amplifier, I am currently using it with 2 speakers 6x9 pioneer 230W max @ 4 Ω and I was thinking about acquiring a pair of Pionner subwoofers ts-w260d4 of 350 W RMS and double coil and 4 Ω, but when reading the characteristics of the Ampli I am a doubt, the information is the following:
4 x 125 Watts @ 4 Ohm Stereo

4 x 250 Watts @ 2 Ohm Stereo

2 x 750 Watts @ 4 Ohm Bridged

my question is, can I leave the speakers working as usual until 4 Ω at 125W on two channels and on the other two add the subwoofer at 2 Ω and work with the 4 at the same time? Is it possible to work like this? What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance.
To use the bridge for your subs you need to run 4 ohm.
2 ohm will kill your amp.

You might be better off getting a mono amp to power those subs with and just use that 4 ch amp to power your speakers with.
Btw, those Quantum amps are a joke for ratings.
DB Drive junk lmao.. its just a db drive amp with cheaper internals.
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes, you can. having different impedances on different channels of a multi-channel amp is never a problem as long as none of them are below their specified minimum.

But don't get caught up with power ratings on an amp like that.

Judging by the 40A of fuse protection it is drastically over-rated. Figure on 100x4 at 2 ohms. Probably ~75x4 at 4 ohms.

So if you have a pair of 4 ohm speakers on 2 channels and a pair of dvc 4's on the other two you'd be looking at about 75w per speaker and about 100 per sub.

Don't run the subs at 2 ohms per channel. Wire them for 4 and bridge those two channels.

https://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

yes 2 ohm stereo will work but u can also run 2-4 speakers off 2 channels and bridge other 2 channels to 1 sub ported., more power to 1 sub in louder box.. i suggest u get a mono amp (let us help u pick one) and u can get 1 pioneer 3003 pro much better sub ($75 ebay) or sound qubed hds $85 on sale now and run maybe 500 rms to it from the mono amp at 2 or 1 ohm depending on sub u get..

yes 2 ohm stereo will work but u can also run 2-4 speakers off 2 channels and bridge other 2 channels to 1 sub ported., more power to 1 sub in louder box.. i suggest u get a mono amp (let us help u pick one) and u can get 1 pioneer 3003 pro much better sub ($75 ebay) or sound qubed hds $85 on sale now and run maybe 500 rms to it from the mono amp at 2 or 1 ohm depending on sub u get..
Why are you suggesting subs when he has some already??

Thanks for your answers, at the moment I can not add another amplifier, so it would be more advisable to leave the speakers and add only a subwoofer in bridge mode? what dou you recommend?

Thanks for your answers, at the moment I can not add another amplifier, so it would be more advisable to leave the speakers and add only a subwoofer in bridge mode? what dou you recommend?
Post#4 is the perfect answer for ya.

I would get a single DVC then use the channels 3& 4 from amp to power it.

I do not understand the diagram very well, but I will review it and put it to the test, thanks for your help.
It's very easy...I can break it down for ya. Say You have a DVC sub. You wanna wire it to achieve a certain ohm load. Simply take a piece of speaker wire and connect it to the - of one terminal and either - or + to the other. Same with the other coil terminal. Then take speaker wire and wire it to the sub, doesn't matter which side, then to amp.

Sorry friend, is that my English is not very good, I understand then that if you can do what I need? Making the connection as you just explained it would be working at 2 ohms? Could I connect both subwoofers and keep my other two speakers?

I agree with the suggestion of going with a single sub instead of a pair.

You have ~200w rms available which is a good amount of power for a lot of low/mid level subs. And the extra work/cost/space requirement to get a pair of subs up and running wouldn't be worth it.

Since bridging two channels needs a 4 ohm load to work best you want a sub with either a single 4 ohm voice coil or dual 2 ohm voice coil.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_98697_JBL-S2-1224-Toggle-between-2-Ohm-4-Ohm-Impedance.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_133899_Polk-Audio-DB1242SVC-DB1242SVC.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34856_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P2D2-12.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_126775_DC-Audio-Level-1-12-m4-D2.html

many other options.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.