Headless setup (possibly) for 200w, controlled via computer/app with reduced power

Participant count
  • Participant list

oysterman

UK
Noob here so apologies for the weird title. I'm looking for advice on replacing my audio system on my boat, which currently runs through a W10 mini computer and Alpine head unit. Sorry if this post is a bit long but I wanted to be as explicit as possible, so here goes...

All my music is on a 2TB external hard-drive, plugged into my mini-computer that runs Windows 10. I've always used Foobar2000 to manage my music collection because it can handle large libraries, plays every type of audio file and it has a great Android app.

The headphone jack is then plugged into an Alpine Link Terminal (KCA410C), which in turn is plugged into the head unit, an Alpine CDA 9812RB (I think this is 150w). This allows me to take the two channels from the computer and split them into four. I have four speakers in the saloon and four in the cockpit, which I can switch between using external switches.

This set-up has served me well for years but the head unit is now playing up and, more importantly, it's a PITA to turn the computer on every time I want to play music. Also it is adding to my current draw. I listen to music when the engine isn't on, so power consumption is an important factor. The head head unit draws around 1.1amp when on stand-by, the computer another amp or so and perhaps a little draw from the hard drive. 2-3 amps is manageable.

I'd like to find a solution that allows me to avoid having to turn the computer on every time I want to listen to music. I was looking at the Raspberry Pi because it only requires 5v so I could feasibly leave that on all the time. Perhaps it could be set up so that I don't require a head and I can just flick a switch and it's ready to go?

I'd like to get another head unit with 200w as I have speakers that can handle it. But one issue I have with buying a head unit is that I only ever use it as an amp. I don't need it to play CDs, it doesn't need a USB port in the front, and I don't use the radio. The only interaction with the head unit is to play with the front/rear balance and use a remote for volume.

So then I thought perhaps I should be looking at a stand-alone amp, and that's where I start to get a bit confused. How could I run four speakers if a Pi is plugged directly into it from its headphone socket? Is this even sensible? Maybe the Pi is a bad idea due to interference? And a Pi won't run Foobar (easily) so I'd need to find a replacement jukebox system that can play all audio files and have an Android (or Apple) app to control it from.

And just to throw a spanner in the works - I still need something to play films (I use Kodi) and that still has to go through the head unit. I'm not bothered about current draw when watching movies because I only do that when plugged in to shore power or when the batteries are fully charged (i.e. not often). In my mind I thought I could separate the music from the movies and have two different systems (a Pi for music and the mini computer for films) but they'll still need to go through the same amp/head unit.

Perhaps there is something out there that does exactly what I want that I'm just not aware of. Any recommendations or suggestions? Budget around $400. Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

add another battery or two with a battery isolator. Done deal. It wont touch your main battery it'll just use the auxillary batteries.

A bluetooth capable head unit would make life easier for you as well.

Along with organizing your music files. Use audacity to change every file into the same kind of file to make things easier. hell, if your audio setup is good enough, you wont even tell any difference between lossless and 320kbps

You can also look into those Maxwell super caps which will save you alot of space, weight, and money. A rasberry PI would be a cool idea but it would require some time to program it the way you want it. I've always been a fan of Foobar 2000 so I understand your need to incorporate a carputer into all this. How long does your computer take to load exactly? I just timed how long my samsung tablet takes to load and I got everything to load in 40 seconds and this is a couple years old too. The newer tablets I've seen they load up way faster than that I believe. My friend has a raspberry PI as an arcade console and it loads up fairly quick. I don't remember how long but maybe 10-15 seconds?

Make life easy run this as you head nice form factor made for marine and motor sports applications and Bluetooth galore.
KICKER KMC2 | KICKER®
Hi Dave. It looks like a nice system but it falls down in a few areas, the main one being that it won't read an external USB hard drive (and it only recognises wma/mp3 files). It still requires the computer to act as an AUX input. Nice bit of kit though.

Hi Dave. It looks like a nice system but it falls down in a few areas, the main one being that it won't read an external USB hard drive (and it only recognises wma/mp3 files). It still requires the computer to act as an AUX input. Nice bit of kit though.
When I put a stereo in my old school Correct Craft Ski Boat I’m going to use on of those kicker units, they’re slick. What about a Bluetooth shield for the Pi? Also it does have USB input and charging In not sure how well it would play with a Pi.

add another battery or two with a battery isolator. Done deal. It wont touch your main battery it'll just use the auxillary batteries.
A bluetooth capable head unit would make life easier for you as well.

Along with organizing your music files. Use audacity to change every file into the same kind of file to make things easier. hell, if your audio setup is good enough, you wont even tell any difference between lossless and 320kbps
I had considered this but I'm not sure I have the space. Also to charge the battery separately would mean extra kit... and more charge time that's already split across house batteries and engine batteries. I wonder what the smallest battery is I could get away with. 50aH motorcycle battery, maybe?

No sure honestly I’ve only messed with arduinos I would think if you could run them both it wouldn’t hurt that way you have dedicated Bluetooth connection for your Audio from the Pi and use the WiFi to control the PI just trying to help ya out best I can. As far as the battery no need to make an extra cable run just hook the batt up to your runs for your amps and then have smaller cables going from your Audio battery and call it good.

Also I was re-reading your original post personally I’d buy a an Amazon Fire HD8 costs about 70 bucks and an amazing bang for the buck tablet that accept up to 256gb micro SD card and make a handy tablet when you soft root it to make it more vanilla android like and less dumbed down if you need all the storage you could possible connect the PI to it VIA WiFi?

You can also look into those Maxwell super caps which will save you alot of space, weight, and money. A rasberry PI would be a cool idea but it would require some time to program it the way you want it. I've always been a fan of Foobar 2000 so I understand your need to incorporate a carputer into all this. How long does your computer take to load exactly? I just timed how long my samsung tablet takes to load and I got everything to load in 40 seconds and this is a couple years old too. The newer tablets I've seen they load up way faster than that I believe. My friend has a raspberry PI as an arcade console and it loads up fairly quick. I don't remember how long but maybe 10-15 seconds?
Load time isn't so much the issue, but the computer is tucked away in a cupboard. OK, so it takes me an extra 10 seconds to boot it up but I'm looking for convenience. I'm often in the cockpit and think "let's have some music", so then I have to go down to boot the computer up, turn the stereo on, connect the phone to the hotspot and so on. Sometimes there might be an issue where the computer didn't boot up properly so then I have to plug the big screen into an inverter, turn on all that, and so it goes on. I'm being lazy, but these issues sometimes prevent me from bothering, so a solution where I turn on one thing (and maybe connect the phone to the hotspot) and I'm done would be the ideal solution.

At the moment I'm running a hotspot via an old Android phone which both the computer and the phone I use to access the Foobar app then connect to. I tried running a hotspot from the computer directly for the foobar phone to connect to but it didn't like it (even when using a hotspot sharing app on the PC), so the best solution was to have a dedicated device to just run the hotspot. That got me thinking about a Pi. If a Pi could run the music library connected to the head unit and always be on, then I only have to turn the head unit on. I'm not sure I could run a hotspot via the Pi - I might run into the same problems I've had with the PC - and I'd have to find an alternative to Foobar, since that's Windows specific...

Also I was re-reading your original post personally I’d buy a an Amazon Fire HD8 costs about 70 bucks and an amazing bang for the buck tablet that accept up to 256gb micro SD card and make a handy tablet when you soft root it to make it more vanilla android like and less dumbed down if you need all the storage you could possible connect the PI to it VIA WiFi?
A dedicated tablet for the interface is the way to go, for sure. If I'm using my phone to connect to the network I then can't get online, so I have to disconnect the wifi connection, use the cellphone internet, and then reconnect to the network when I want to change the music.

Load time isn't so much the issue, but the computer is tucked away in a cupboard. OK, so it takes me an extra 10 seconds to boot it up but I'm looking for convenience. I'm often in the cockpit and think "let's have some music", so then I have to go down to boot the computer up, turn the stereo on, connect the phone to the hotspot and so on. Sometimes there might be an issue where the computer didn't boot up properly so then I have to plug the big screen into an inverter, turn on all that, and so it goes on. I'm being lazy, but these issues sometimes prevent me from bothering, so a solution where I turn on one thing (and maybe connect the phone to the hotspot) and I'm done would be the ideal solution.
At the moment I'm running a hotspot via an old Android phone which both the computer and the phone I use to access the Foobar app then connect to. I tried running a hotspot from the computer directly for the foobar phone to connect to but it didn't like it (even when using a hotspot sharing app on the PC), so the best solution was to have a dedicated device to just run the hotspot. That got me thinking about a Pi. If a Pi could run the music library connected to the head unit and always be on, then I only have to turn the head unit on. I'm not sure I could run a hotspot via the Pi - I might run into the same problems I've had with the PC - and I'd have to find an alternative to Foobar, since that's Windows specific...
The one nice thing about running an arduino you could have a switch to remotely power the PI and automatically turn on when you hit the switch.

ETA- if you’re worried about your battery I would run a decent sized AGM battery with a battery isolator so you could run it all the way down without effecting your start or house batts.

Of course I realise the problem I still have is splitting the computer than runs movies and the (possible) Pi that runs the audio. I still need to run them through the same amp/head unit for volume and speaker control.

A dedicated tablet for the interface is the way to go, for sure. If I'm using my phone to connect to the network I then can't get online, so I have to disconnect the wifi connection, use the cellphone internet, and then reconnect to the network when I want to change the music.
Yeah that’s how I brought my Eclipse 8053 into the modern age again.

ETA that’s why I’d get the fire tablet and the kicker marine head unit and have a nice compromise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.