Differences between RTA's

Participant count
  • Participants list

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Amsterdam
Hello guys,

for a while now I've been looking for a somewhat decent RTA to tune some of my friends' and my own system.

I've been looking in to an RTA I found through Soundman on YouTube. The Audiofrog UM-1 (link below)

Test Gear - Audiofrog UMI-1

My friend told me he calibrated his system using the standard little mic which was included with his radio (Pioneer 80prs).

What's the concrete differences between these mics? I mean the radio mic is also being used for auto calibration but there must be some major quality differences?

In case you guys have other good RTA options, which aren't too expensive, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

You pay for what you get.

Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.

You pay for what you get.
Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.
I have 3 Rockford amps in my car, 140 db should be no problem. I surpass 120db easily.

Thanks for your advice, could you link you website here?

You misunderstand what we implied.

We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

160db or higher is pointless to rta in a vehicle.

For Midbass on up, you would want rta.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.

We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.
I think I didn't really write it the way I meant it. English isn't my mothertongue, excuse me for that.

I make a 140db on sub tones, I completely understood what you meant by saying I need an SPL meter for my sub instead of an RTA.

I wasn't going to use an RTA for my sub as I can just tune sub tones to my likings by ear using my 3sixty.3 DSP.

The reason I would like to use the RTA, as you said, is to tune midbass and up. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.

I hope it's more clear now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm not, my sub is the reason I go over 140. If I just RTA my mids and highs it should be fine :p
What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless.

If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.

Wtf are you talking about?

What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless. If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.
I have a volume control hooked up to my 3sixty.3. It allows me to adjust sub volume and have presets.

I have a daily preset where my sub is not 30db over the mid bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.