Aygodriver1212

Differences between RTA's

Hello guys,

for a while now I've been looking for a somewhat decent RTA to tune some of my friends' and my own system.

I've been looking in to an RTA I found through Soundman on YouTube. The Audiofrog UM-1 (link below)

Test Gear - Audiofrog UMI-1

My friend told me he calibrated his system using the standard little mic which was included with his radio (Pioneer 80prs).

What's the concrete differences between these mics? I mean the radio mic is also being used for auto calibration but there must be some major quality differences?

In case you guys have other good RTA options, which aren't too expensive, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

Rockford T1500bdcp, Rockford T400-4, Rockford P200-2, Rockford 3Sixty.3

B2 Audio HN10" V2

Custom 320a alternator ready to be built in

All 0 gauge welding cable wiring, Big 3 three upgrade

Battery upgrade 40ah stock to 66 ah, second mini 18ah battery added

You pay for what you get.

Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.

You pay for what you get.

Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.

I have 3 Rockford amps in my car, 140 db should be no problem. I surpass 120db easily.

Thanks for your advice, could you link you website here?

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

I use a condenser mic and rew

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

SPL measure devices and spectrum analyzer

There isn't much reason to RTA subwoofer. You want an SPL Meter for that.

If you are surpassing 140db above the sub section, thats very loud.

140db isn't that loud for a subwoofer in my opinion, I've done more. Now I got it tuned to SQ but I have a lot of watts running through it.

I'll check it out.

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

If you are trying to RTA over 110db then you are wasting your time. 95-110db is the sweet spot.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

Zapco ST-4X SQ, ST-1000XMii

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Alpine SPX Pro ring radiators

Hertz HV165XL

Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

You misunderstand what we implied.

We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

160db or higher is pointless to rta in a vehicle.

For Midbass on up, you would want rta.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.

We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.

I think I didn't really write it the way I meant it. English isn't my mothertongue, excuse me for that.

I make a 140db on sub tones, I completely understood what you meant by saying I need an SPL meter for my sub instead of an RTA.

I wasn't going to use an RTA for my sub as I can just tune sub tones to my likings by ear using my 3sixty.3 DSP.

The reason I would like to use the RTA, as you said, is to tune midbass and up. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.

I hope it's more clear now :)

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

If you are trying to RTA over 110db then you are wasting your time. 95-110db is the sweet spot.

I'm not, my sub is the reason I go over 140. If I just RTA my mids and highs it should be fine :P

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

I'm not, my sub is the reason I go over 140. If I just RTA my mids and highs it should be fine :P

What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless.

If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

Wtf are you talking about?

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless.

If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.

I have a volume control hooked up to my 3sixty.3. It allows me to adjust sub volume and have presets.

I have a daily preset where my sub is not 30db over the mid bass.

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

I use an a $90 mini DSP microphone and REW to tune with. https://www.roomeqwizard.com

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 2 cube/33Hz.

https://www.parts-express.com/minidsp-umik-1-omni-directional-usb-measurement-calibrated-microphone--230-332 Is this it?

And does it provide some kind of sound card? I know my laptop f.e. has a built in HPF, which will do me no good.

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.

seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.

seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.

Thing is you have to get it flat first then shape the sound or you might miss information..

i told wife guy on here pm'ed me wanting to buy my amp she said tell him it not fs (cause she knows i'll spend more $ on new one) and told her i wanted d2 sub for bday next week she said tell ya'll i'm to old to go down to 1ohm lol..

Stop it dude. You tune at the volume you listen at.

Stop it dude. You tune at the volume you listen at.

If you are listening over 110db full range it’s pointless. But I don’t expect you to know that.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T

JBL MS-8

IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed

Hertz HV165XL

Can we keep this objective. Two people arguing over what volume to RTA at. Can an independent person give his or her opinion on this? It's kind of distracting. I don't know who or what to believe right now.

Toyota Aygo 2007

Pioneer 80PRS

B2 Audio HN10" V2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in