Please help

Participant count
  • Participant list

nsims4400

Hello All,

I have been doing subwoofer work for a while but figuring out proper amplifiers to use always gets me stumped. This time its not something as easy as usual so I came here to beg for help. I purchased a box with two Audiobahn ALUM15Q subwoofers. The specs are:

Dual 6 Ohm

3 Ohm or 12 Ohm Operation

frequency response 18-500 Hz

power handling 1100 watts RMS (200 watts per coil)

sensitivity 96.4 dB

The 6 ohm voice coil is something I've never worked with and has me thoroughly confused. Anyone that could provide information on the Wattage of amplifier to buy or whether to wire in parallel or series would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a relatively tight budget so I'm ok with a little underpowered but I just don't want to break them. Thank you so much

Hello All,
I have been doing subwoofer work for a while but figuring out proper amplifiers to use always gets me stumped. This time its not something as easy as usual so I came here to beg for help. I purchased a box with two Audiobahn ALUM15Q subwoofers. The specs are:

Dual 6 Ohm

3 Ohm or 12 Ohm Operation

frequency response 18-500 Hz

power handling 1100 watts RMS (200 watts per coil)

sensitivity 96.4 dB

The 6 ohm voice coil is something I've never worked with and has me thoroughly confused. Anyone that could provide information on the Wattage of amplifier to buy or whether to wire in parallel or series would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a relatively tight budget so I'm ok with a little underpowered but I just don't want to break them. Thank you so much
In red is throwing me off. Did a few quick searches and they say 1100 rms each sub. So not sure how inflated the brand is but I wouldn't put any more watts to it/them than that.

As for your sub wiring options, here this should help...JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers

It confused me too, 1100 Watts RMS for a ~250$ sub seems quite high.... but after looking at the reviews and other sites that appears to be correct somehow. I looked at the site you sent and it seems that my two options are wiring it so the final impedance is either 6ohms or 1.5ohms. I'm not great with this but it seems that if I ran it at 6ohms there would be almost no affordable amp that could push 1000 watts and there are few amps that can handle less than 2ohms. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but is there any way around this? Thank you again

In red is throwing me off. Did a few quick searches and they say 1100 rms each sub. So not sure how inflated the brand is but I wouldn't put any more watts to it/them than that.
As for your sub wiring options, here this should help...JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers
It confused me too, 1100 Watts RMS for a ~250$ sub seems quite high.... but after looking at the reviews and other sites that appears to be correct somehow. I looked at the site you sent and it seems that my two options are wiring it so the final impedance is either 6ohms or 1.5ohms. I'm not great with this but it seems that if I ran it at 6ohms there would be almost no affordable amp that could push 1000 watts and there are few amps that can handle less than 2ohms. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but is there any way around this? Thank you again

Some people shell out 100's of dollars for subs. Just one of my 15's was 330 bucks shipped. That's a bargain compared to doubling that price for a new one.

For your sub wiring options, your correct. If I were you and if it was my $$, i would buy a JL amp. Because they made amps to support those weird impedance subs (dual 6 ohm) so the amps can drive multiple ohm loads with all the same wattage.

For example HD1200/1 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - HD - JL Audio Dunno your budget for amp is but see them all the time on CL and Offerup.

Some people shell out 100's of dollars for subs. Just one of my 15's was 330 bucks shipped. That's a bargain compared to doubling that price for a new one.
For your sub wiring options, your correct. If I were you and if it was my $$, i would buy a JL amp. Because they made amps to support those weird impedance subs (dual 6 ohm) so the amps can drive multiple ohm loads with all the same wattage.

For example HD1200/1 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - HD - JL Audio Dunno your budget for amp is but see them all the time on CL and Offerup.
Yeah I got EXTREMELY lucky here and actually picked this set up for only 150 bucks not fully knowing what it was, neither did the guy selling it. That price is definitely wayyyy out of my range, so will it be cheaper to try and run it at a different ohm? I dont know if its acceptable to run it at 2 or perhaps another way to wire it.... Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for all the information

EDIT: I also have the amp that powers my dual 12" Orions right now, If there's any way i could do a Multi-amp set up to save some $ I'd be willing.

Teres a ton of amps out that will support 1 ohm loads. Hi Fonics, Rockford,Sundown,JL, Sound Qubed just to name a few all have amps that would work. The most affordable would be Hi Fonics and they are close to rated power from amp dyno test Ive seen.

Yeah I got EXTREMELY lucky here and actually picked this set up for only 150 bucks not fully knowing what it was, neither did the guy selling it. That price is definitely wayyyy out of my range, so will it be cheaper to try and run it at a different ohm? I dont know if its acceptable to run it at 2 or perhaps another way to wire it.... Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for all the information
With dual 6 ohm subs, it's gonna be more difficult as far as wiring options for ya vs something normal like dual 2 ohm or even dual 4 ohm.....also limits your wattage because as you saw in the DVC sub wiring diagrams, your only 2 options for final ohm load is either 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms. Find a good quality amp that's 1 ohm stable and it'll do work to those subs. I wouldn't recommend Hifonics...over bloated power ratings. CAB is 200 bucks new...* NEW * CAB-1600.1 Amplifier - Car Audio Bargain

With dual 6 ohm subs, it's gonna be more difficult as far as wiring options for ya vs something normal like dual 2 ohm or even dual 4 ohm.....also limits your wattage because as you saw in the DVC sub wiring diagrams, your only 2 options for final ohm load is either 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms. Find a good quality amp that's 1 ohm stable and it'll do work to those subs. I wouldn't recommend Hifonics...over bloated power ratings. CAB is 200 bucks new...* NEW * CAB-1600.1 Amplifier - Car Audio Bargain
Thanks for all of your help, I guess now its time to hop on CL and OU to find a bargain amp to match my subs. Much appreciate the help with wiring and picking amps, will post again if I can find anything!

Thanks for all of your help, I guess now its time to hop on CL and OU to find a bargain amp to match my subs. Much appreciate the help with wiring and picking amps, will post again if I can find anything!
No problem bro...that's what were here for. Btw, which part of Seattle are you in?

I'm actually about 45 minutes south of downtown in the Maple Valley area, but I go to school in Tukwila
Gotcha. Worked in Burien, Woodinville, Redmond, pretty much dam near all over lol. And I'm waasaayyyyy North of ya!! Now I'm 6 miles from work. Can't beat that.

Gotcha. Worked in Burien, Woodinville, Redmond, pretty much dam near all over lol. And I'm waasaayyyyy North of ya!! Now I'm 6 miles from work. Can't beat that.
Hey guys, just started picking out amps and realized I may have another problem.... Pulling 1200-1500 watts I'm worried about draining my battery on my stock alternator because its a toyota yaris. I looked over some other posts and it seems people have mixed opinions on what to do? Any ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.