What sub would work for this box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ilikeradios
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I know, a strange way of doing it.

I just picked up a Scion Xb to use for daily duties and need a sub setup that will let me use the storage area without worrying about the subwoofer getting damaged.

I found this prefab downfiring box that would be perfect.

Here are the specs of the box.

Gross Airspace: 1.67 Cu.Ft.

Net Airspace: 1.51 Cu.Ft.

Mounting Depth: 7"

Port Dimensions: 8" x 1 1/2" x 14"

Port Volume: .11 Cu.Ft.

Tuned @ 34Hz

The subs I have laying around are the following:

Skar 12"vvx v1

Alpine 10" Type R

JL Audio 10w3v2

I can also buy something else if needed.

I just feel like the box is too small for a 12" and wonder if a 10" would give me the bass I like.

Amp is a Skar RP2000

is that amp a bit much for those subs? i say the jl for box size but idk about that amp on it, may only work for a week lol.. i know i'll get yelled at and laughed at but pioneer 3003 is perfect for that box with 500rms., idk about that amp on that port, sounds tiny another reason i think jl be better..

is that amp a bit much for those subs? i say the jl for box size but idk about that amp on it, may only work for a week lol.. i know i'll get yelled at and laughed at but pioneer 3003 is perfect for that box with 500rms., idk about that amp on that port, sounds tiny another reason i think jl be better..
I will not have the gain up much anyway, it just is the sub amp I have laying around to use.

I have 2 questions.

1) How does a downfiring sub sound, can it get loud?

2) What sub, any sub under $250 would get the loudest in that box?

this is how the box looks and would work perfect as I could toss anything back there without worries.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If this idea is crap then let me know.

I am not going for car breaking bass like I just had in my last setup but want something that is pretty decent loud.

man if u ain't got box yet i wouldn't get it.. the port is just to small for the box man it's 7.9 sq in per cf., should be almost twice that.. i think it's waste of $

I've decided to scratch that idea.

it is always the same **** with every new car I get, how much room do I want to give up to have good bass.

I really wish I lived in an area with more systems so I could hear different setup's.

I would love to know how much bass I could get out of just 1 beast 12"

My 2 Skar 12's are more than I need but one is not enough.

it is always the same **** with every new car I get, how much room do I want to give up to have good bass.

I really wish I lived in an area with more systems so I could hear different setup's.

Pm Imjtnotu, and talk to him about one of his lightning audio 10s, in a 1.5-1.8cuft net, put the sub on top of box, and port back will protect the sub, and be sensible with the gain, would be decent in that size vehicle dude.

Hmm....sounds like your wanting a monster high rms 12...throw 2500 watts clean on that and that should be good, or so in your case, you hope //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.