Searching for old school sound with new school size (amplifiers)

Gonzo725

I got out of car audio for about 10-12 years to pick up racing as a hobby, after fulfilling myself with that and changing careers I started a build in a 2012 Silverado single cab. After finding that nothing seemed to be what it was in the 90s and early 2000s I decided to search out products I was familiar with.

All mosconi built Boston gt amps

Gt40 running USA Boston pro neo tweets for imaging in a pillars and Boston pro 4inch rear fill

Gt24 running scan speak 7 inch in doors low midbass (80-200)

Gt42 running a/d/s 335 px bi amped

Gt28 running a Boston spg555

Love the sq, no issues there, but amps are very cramped on rear wall, sub is in custom center console down firing.

I'm looking for some consistent good feedback back on something produced recently in a smaller footprint, I'm not super impressed with jl and everything else seems to be a copy of something else that isn't good in it's original form.

Sq is a must, but need power too

Maybe a staggered 6 channel, 4 channel, and a mono

Need around 50x4 at 4ohm

125x4 + 175x2 at 4 ohm

And 1200x1 at 2ohm

I've been hunting for about 6 plus months, so any help would be greatly appreciated

I've got nothing... I can't think of a current amp that will match those Boston's in SQ and be a smaller footprint. Only thing I can think of will be Mosconi, Brax or Arc, but none of those will be smaller footprint

Some of those look good, I should note, doesn't have to be " new school" could be older if smaller
Call up Stephen Mantz at Zed Audio (he's Pacific time). He built Hifonics, Crunch, Lanzar, Autotek, US Acoustics, ESX, Rodek, and a few others back when they were good. He has his own line of amps that are very nice full range class D, and has also designed some current amps for Mosconi and Focal (which contain some real cutting edge technology if you can handle the price tag), and he designed the Phoenix Gold SX series which are tiny and quite nice (though they do not use regulated power supply and have very Spartan crossover options). Last time I spoke with him he had a few of those other branded amps in his shop and he might could help you figuring out if anything he has made/designed fits your needs and space limitations.

I'm using one of the little PG amps at the moment in my Jeep and put one in my brother's car and I'm really impressed for what it does for its size. You could get the 4 channel and the 5 channel and be done if you don't need the amps to cross into your tweeters.... the 5 channel even has a remote bass knob for the sub section.

Also Arc used to make some space efficient full range class D and the Alpine PDX series is pretty solid (avoid the first gen).

Call up Stephen Mantz at Zed Audio (he's Pacific time). He built Hifonics, Crunch, Lanzar, Autotek, US Acoustics, ESX, Rodek, and a few others back when they were good. He has his own line of amps that are very nice full range class D, and has also designed some current amps for Mosconi and Focal (which contain some real cutting edge technology if you can handle the price tag), and he designed the Phoenix Gold SX series which are tiny and quite nice (though they do not use regulated power supply and have very Spartan crossover options). Last time I spoke with him he had a few of those other branded amps in his shop and he might could help you figuring out if anything he has made/designed fits your needs and space limitations.
I'm using one of the little PG amps at the moment in my Jeep and put one in my brother's car and I'm really impressed for what it does for its size. You could get the 4 channel and the 5 channel and be done if you don't need the amps to cross into your tweeters.... the 5 channel even has a remote bass knob for the sub section.

Also Arc used to make some space efficient full range class D and the Alpine PDX series is pretty solid (avoid the first gen).
Very familiar with zed (Steve) my first 2 amps in 1993? We're the white Odin and Thor, will look into mentioned amps and reach out to steve

Very familiar with zed (Steve) my first 2 amps in 1993? We're the white Odin and Thor, will look into mentioned amps and reach out to steve
he had a ton of problems with his own line for some reason and customer service was BAD. zed is a great engineer though he has built great stuff

VIII Hifonics were great. I owned VII Odin back 89/90... Blew it up a couple times because we were used to the old Punch 45's and Phoenix Gold amps that you could wire down to 1/4 ohm. He has only made a couple amps that were designed to run low impedance.

Thank you for your opinion
That guy is our resident troll. Though seemingly functionally illiterate, he has all the answers but has never posted any builds or competition results. In fact the only build he has ever posted is someone else's that he took credit for. I think the only reason he sticks around is that he is a glutton for punishment because he is ruthlessly ridiculed here every time he tries to spew his garbled opinions.

Take anything that clown says with a big grain of salt, in fact if he tells you the sky is blue you had better go outside and check for yourself. Most of us have him on our ignore list.

Troll or not. Op is going about it all wrong for his goal.

KISS method.

He will learn the hard way or get some seat time under his belt and find out what he really wants and how to achieve it.

Tossing amps at the problem won’t fix it.

VIII Hifonics were great. I owned VII Odin back 89/90... Blew it up a couple times because we were used to the old Punch 45's and Phoenix Gold amps that you could wire down to 1/4 ohm. He has only made a couple amps that were designed to run low impedance.

That guy is our resident troll. Though seemingly functionally illiterate, he has all the answers but has never posted any builds or competition results. In fact the only build he has ever posted is someone else's that he took credit for. I think the only reason he sticks around is that he is a glutton for punishment because he is ruthlessly ridiculed here every time he tries to spew his garbled opinions.

Take anything that clown says with a big grain of salt, in fact if he tells you the sky is blue you had better go outside and check for yourself. Most of us have him on our ignore list.
Thanks for the info, I was just being polite with my response, I have plenty of seat time with car audio, happens when your 40 , for those who have given great suggestions, it is greatly appreciated, I have had plenty of simple set ups, that isn't the goal I am trying to achieve, anyone that read my first post has taken note that sound quality is not at all the issue with the current set up, it is the size of the amps and the fact that they take up the entire rear wall of my truck, add the monster xovers for the PX comps and it begins to limit the seat travel. So again thanks to those that have responded to the inquiry, when I think I have power questions, post will say something like" do I have power issues" or if I have speaker questions, maybe something like " do I need imaging tweeters to raise the sound stage" until then we are at quality sq amps with smaller footprints

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.