Suggest me speakers for my car..

Participant count
  • Participants list

lakimens

Hello,

I have a new radio in my car, it's not the best, but it's okay.

It says it gives off 60W per channel and it has four channels.

I connected speakers from a DVD into it's front channels, wired them parallel so they drop from 6 ohms to 3 ohms and they're okay, but problem is, my car doesn't have speakers in the doors and I don't want to drill holes for them, I put them in the center console next to the handbrake, but they don't sound too good.

I am looking for speakers that I can lay in the back of my car, that's where I already have speakers, but they're too quiet for me. I don't know their specs and I can't find out, because it is not written on them.

I don't know if it'd be better to get 8 Ohm speakers that do 120W and wire them parallel to reduce the impendance to 4 Ohms. Fusing all channels into one wire and then splitting that wire in two for each speaker to reduce them to 4 ohms.

I want to do this, because I don't have a place to mount my front speakers and I'd like to use the front ports as well.

If you have other ideas, feel free to suggest. The car is Opel Kadett E 1984.

Back speakers.

wp_20171022_11_04_18_pro-jpg.59289

Front speakers from DVD, wired parallel. Fused two channels into one then split into two again.

wp_20171022_11_03_55_pro-jpg.59290

Radio

wp_20171022_11_03_18_pro-jpg.59292

wp_20171022_11_03_11_pro-jpg.59293

wp_20171022_11_03_36_pro-jpg.59291

I don't understand what your describing.

If you have no place to install front speakers...there are no locations where factory speakers were installed in the front of the vehicle?...you will most likely be better served by installing a good pair of speakers in the rear deck location under the rear window. I had a 60's model Cadet...what a honking piece of junk, I hope yours is better.

The head unit...please identify the head unit so we have an idea what your working with...most likely is pushing 15watts to each speaker and that is sufficient for efficient speakers but driving them hard will result in noise, clipping and eventually damage.

Same with the speakers...describe what you are using, brand/size/etc, so we have some idea what the hell you are doing.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you state "I connected speakers from a DVD into it's front channels"...describe what you have done more clearly. What dvd? What speakers? What???

If there are no locations designed for a speaker in the front of a car you are going to have to figure out how to build some sort of enclosure for a speaker. How did you put speakers in the front center console? I'd guess they'd sound lousy as there is not much room, the speakers must be very small and if you are using the console for a common enclosure for both speakers the sound waves must be playing hell with each other in the console.

You are also playing hell with speaker impedance. I'm not sure what you're describing is working or even good for the system. But I'll listen to others that are knowledgeable in this area.

If I were in your shoes and using what you are "describing" I'd get a good pair of speakers and install them in the rear deck connecting them to the front channels until I figured out how to install a pair of speakers somewhere in the front then switch the connections to the front and back. I'd not mess around with parallel connections to change the ohm's.

I did a googly search for your vehicle and it seems that front speakers are installed in the front dash next to the side window vents. It looks like they are very small speakers and if so you are going to have a very hard time replacing them with something decent...as well as having a difficult time??? just getting to them...whew ! There are pictures of different model years and I'm not sure what I was looking at as there are no years given other than '84 to '91.

Good luck, give us more information...especially pictures of the front area so we can see what you have to work with...and keep us informed.

Okay, so I found the front speakers and they are amazing. Apparently my dad didn't know about them for 10 years and they weren't even connected.

When you wire two speakers parallel on the same port the impendence drops to half. What I did was fuse two ports and then wire two speakers in parallel to the fused port, so the impendence drops in half and the power is still there. I had some improvement, but these fronts are awesome.Yes, parallel wiring speakers has a danger of burning the port.

Now I just need rear speakers 6"x9", preferably two way, sub and tweeter or better, 60W.

It says on the radio 4x60W, I do think that means 4 channels, each 60W.

as long as u know that 60 watts is probably 15 watts rms per speaker at best.. any speaker will handle hu power u just need hp xover to keep small speakers from playing low freqs they can't handle., my hu has xovers on it... sounds like u need 4 channel amp with hp for 4 speakers on 2 channels @2 ohms(maybe run rears off hu) and bridge 2 channels to a sub in trunk then u have it right and front speakers won't distort..

HU = Head Unit...radio...stereo...etc.

hp xover = high pass cross over...sets the crossover, in hertz, to limit the signal sent to speakers...There is also lp, low pass crossovers...rough description, if the speakers can't handle signal below 80hz, hertz, you can set the crossover, high pass, to send signals above 80hz to the speakers...opposite for subs...

Okay, I understand now, but the point is I am not possession of much money. I just wanted rear speakers, to get a little bass in my car.

What you're saying is a bit more expensive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.