Stiffening trunk lid

Darth_Immitis

CarAudio.com Elite
I was gunna forward face and seal off the trunk completely but I'm not going that route at this point in time. My trunk trunk lid literally looks like it's gunna fly off when I'm wangin. I know I'm losing energy from this thing flexing so I'm looking for recommendations on what I can do to stiffen it! Tomorrow is my day off so I want to get started in the morning so I can spend the rest of the day with my kids.

I'm thinking adding some weight somehow and then foaming the gaps and crevices of the lid.

Any other recommendations or pointers would be very helpful!

What I'm working with

https://imgur.com/gallery/CbvRJ

Good deadner and the new loctite spray foam is amazing. I use it at work and the stuff is dense and solid compared to normal spray foam. You will get various opinions on deadner but I am a fan of stinger road kill. Knu knoknoise is sweet but pricey. Noico 80 mil is meh but for a budget works. Whatever you do don't be like me and waste money on crescendo murdermat. The Noico 80mil is better than that stuff. I have three packs in my truck of Noico, three of crescendo and four of the stinger. I probably didn't do it the "right" way but no road noise or rattles for me. Tripled up the roof, floor and doubled up the doors.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Just saw your pic. Not sure how I'd tackle that one honestly.

I've always been curious when you guys spray foam do you ever worry about the release parts? I was going to foam my rear hatch on the trailblazer but worry about filling something with foam that's supposed to move.....

Or what do you suv guys do with that hatch door and back window?

I have 3 layers of damp pro on my trunk lid.

Not a sound comes from that thing.

The thing is that once you deaden that you'll find other rattles... so if you do pick up some deadner, pick up more than you need.

I have 3 layers of damp pro on my trunk lid.
Not a sound comes from that thing.

The thing is that once you deaden that you'll find other rattles... so if you do pick up some deadner, pick up more than you need.

Amen lol. For me it was just one more pack.....well one more should do it....f it I'm ordering 3 this time.....

Also live and learn experiance you can either do a layer or two of good quality stuff or spend just as much or more one 3-4 layers of the cheap stuff. I didn't know the proper way to deaden so I went corner to corner roof,floor and doors with as many layers as I could afford.

Amen lol. For me it was just one more pack.....well one more should do it....f it I'm ordering 3 this time.....Also live and learn experiance you can either do a layer or two of good quality stuff or spend just as much or more one 3-4 layers of the cheap stuff. I didn't know the proper way to deaden so I went corner to corner roof,floor and doors with as many layers as I could afford.
Yeah I ended up using about 100 sheets of damp pro with my car.

I had stinger roadkill in my doors and it legit melted. Pain in the d!ck to clean off. Never again...

I bet it was. Lucky for me we get to high 90s only a few days of the year. It's the -10 to -20 in a few months I'm not a fan of. In my area the stinger has stuck very well for me.

I bet it was. Lucky for me we get to high 90s only a few days of the year. It's the -10 to -20 in a few months I'm not a fan of. In my area the stinger has stuck very well for me.
Yeah so a lot of other people said they had a good experience with their stinger deadners. I really don't know why mine did what it did.

This was when I lived in SC and it was during one of the summer months where it was high 90s every day.

I don't know why it happened but I'm sorta glad it did because the damp pro ended up being a well worth purchase.

gotta say itt, i won that free gp car audio mat and it's awesome warm it and it just sticks and back side it soft.. wish i had 10 sheets of but it ain't cheap..

Yeah so a lot of other people said they had a good experience with their stinger deadners. I really don't know why mine did what it did. This was when I lived in SC and it was during one of the summer months where it was high 90s every day.

I don't know why it happened but I'm sorta glad it did because the damp pro ended up being a well worth purchase.
i get to high 90s often for months on end as well, never had an issue with my stinger. I didnt even bother to prep the surface with alchohol or anything either. could very well be a bad batch for you.

i get to high 90s often for months on end as well, never had an issue with my stinger. I didnt even bother to prep the surface with alchohol or anything either. could very well be a bad batch for you.
Thats what I figured.

My local car audio guys back in SC were the ones who told me to use. They had it in their vehicles for years with no issues.

It is what it is.

I would face forward and then use deadener to seal into off. Very easy to do with good results and cheap..

I do have some friends that took the springs out their trunk lid that makes it easy to lift. So now the trunk feels like it’s 100lbs and gravity holds it down nicely.

I'm forward and sealed off, but my rear deck and rear window moves so much my trunk lid does too. A few layers of deadener pretty much did it for me. But it still makes some noise on anything below 30hz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.