Lost half power to subs, pls help.

I have had this set up for over a year slamming in the trunk of my 08 Impala, hitting hard enough to rattle cars around me so pls dont suggest diff brands of anything. I like what I have...The problem is, as of yesterday my subs feel like they have lost half their power! Idk what is going on. In a year, nothing has been added, nothing has changed.

I have 2 American Bass XFL-1544 15" 2,000 Watts Max Power Dual 4 Ohm

Powered by a 2000wat AudioPipe 2 Channel Amp

Running on a Boss Audio BV9986BI- single sin flip up deck

0 guage power and ground wire

The bass knob is not plugged into the amp. Never wanted to turn bass down.

As i said nothing changed, nothing added, they just randomly lost half their power.

Boss HU?? A no no.

How's the gain set on the amp??

Btw, max wattage means nothing. rms is what you should be more concerned with. (Root Mean Squared)

There's a car audio club here in Columbus with $4,000 - $8,000 setups and my Impala hits just as hard as theirs. So the equipment, that ive been using for over a year, is not the issue. So long as the subs are getting the power they deserve, brand doesnt matter as much as your box and setup.

The speakers have 4 wires on each speaker. A positive and negative on each side. I was told to cross the wires from side to side then wire to the outlets. But again, nothing has changed in over a year. It was completely random.

Your right. The typical "formula" to car audio is something like 90% install, 10% brands. However, I wouldn't choose a Boss HU or even any garbage branded name for that matter, to run the entire system. In any case, brands do matter if you want something to function longer than a month or even 6 months. I have heard and read people buying garbage brands because of it's cheap price tag then they break....

2nd time asking....where/how is the gain set on amp?

I was offered the entire system, everything brand new in the box, for a mint condition vintage bmx. Idc about brands. Im not an audiophile. I just a guy with a nice car that happens to have a loud system. The gain is pretty much turned all the way up. I took it to a car audio shop a month or two after i bought it all and had them tune the amp. I know nothing about car audio other than where the wires go. Not my field of expertise. lol. Thats why im here, asking you, the guy who knows car audio. :p

I was offered the entire system, everything brand new in the box, for a mint condition vintage bmx. Idc about brands. Im not an audiophile. I just a guy with a nice car that happens to have a loud system. The gain is pretty much turned all the way up. I took it to a car audio shop a month or two after i bought it all and had them tune the amp. I know nothing about car audio other than where the wires go. Not my field of expertise. lol. Thats why im here, asking you, the guy who knows car audio. :p
Bingo. There's your issue.....So glad I asked because that's def not right. Gain should match HU voltage....and again that HU Boss brand is GARBAGE. I don't know who tuned the gain up all thew way....you or the previous owner but needs to be set correctly.

You prob clipped those subs to death, they're on the brink of being fried. Clipping is bad for subs and thus will fry them. Clipping is a type of distortion that will eventually fry your subs. I think you've reached that era.

So be it for having the hardest hitting system in your area huh?! Now next time you go to your little car audio clubs, they can prob get a good laugh at you.

So the gain being turned up all the way an using a boss deck for over a year with no problem is why my subs randomly stopped hitting as hard as they used to? So youre saying if I turn the gain back down to where it was a year ago they will hit twice as hard as they do right now?

So since your new to this, there was no way telling how you would know. So yes, over time both those things will eventually cause problems later on down the road. You have reach the end of the road. I don't know if those subs are even considered useable now, since they were being fed dirty power aka clipped signal. Those subs coils could be 1/2 burned and just a matter of time of how long before they completely quit on you. They hit hard because someone thought the gain was a volume knob...it is not.

Im not sure why you're talking to me like you're the car audio god and im some homeless guy wanting a taste. You do understand that not everyone has the same interest as you right? I just wanted some answers. Not some troll calling my equipment garbage looking down on me from his audiophile pedastool. It doesn't make you look as cool as you think bro. I can easily go spend $5,000 on a new system. The problem is...again....I DONT CARE. Its just some equipment I came across and used and wanted to know what was wrong with it. I dont need "car audio approval" from someone that drives a 97 Tahoe with a subpar system he probably bought with a tax return. But thanks for the advice!

So the gain being turned up all the way an using a boss deck for over a year with no problem is why my subs randomly stopped hitting as hard as they used to? So youre saying if I turn the gain back down to where it was a year ago they will hit twice as hard as they do right now?
gain normally 1/2 way or less on 99% of installs, never more than like 60%

[quote name='FriendlyStalker']Im not sure why you're talking to me like you're the car audio god and im some homeless guy wanting a taste. You do understand that not everyone has the same interest as you right? I just wanted some answers. Not some troll calling my equipment garbage looking down on me from his audiophile pedastool. It doesn't make you look as cool as you think bro. I can easily go spend $5,000 on a new system. The problem is...again....I DONT CARE. Its just some equipment I came across and used and wanted to know what was wrong with it. I dont need "car audio approval" from someone that drives a 97 Tahoe with a subpar system he probably bought with a tax return. But thanks for the advice![/QUOTE]

I'm telling you how it is....and the truth hurts, and its up to you if your willing to accept it or not. I'm also telling you what exactly what happened to your subs....you don't believe me, take it some stereo shop and pay them $$ to tell you the same exact thing I'm telling you here. Because if I didn't say it, then someone else will. I'm talking like this because I've been into this a long time. A lot of us have. We've been thru a lot as far as diff brands, builds, enclosures, speakers, subs, etc. Even troubleshooting such as right now.

So bottom line is you can get pissed all you want.....it's not my stereo that's not working properly.

Lets get some help in here @Jeffdachef

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.