Belt to big next size to small

C1500martin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Cali
So idk if car audio gives everyone as many headaches as it gives me but its just issue after issue with this shit. I installed a dual alt bracket and my belt seem to be slipping and the tensioner making a rattling noise. It seemed it was the tensioner so i replaced that and it fixed the slip a bit and the rattling a bit but its stil there sometimes. The tensioner seens like it doesnt have enough belt holding it back its almost all the way rested. The belt that ame with the kit was a K061141 and the next aize down is a k061130. The 1130 is to small cant get it to wrap around the pulleys by like .25" what can i do next? Bigger wheels pulley things idk what theyre called

I have the triple alt bracket and it has one of the fixed (wheels ) are adjustible via a slot and you have a little adjustment ? My belt required me to almost pry it on the first time, so get it on the pullys first and use a screwdriver to carefully pry it over one of the smooth wheels it will slide over and after belt stretches it will go on and off easier, Also it dont hurt to clean all the belt surfaces with aceatone on a rag first to also reduce slipping.

Both of the pulley wheels are fixed theyre bolted to where the factory alt mounts to. Would there be an issue if i do as you said and pry the belt onto the pulley wheels and the belt tensioner has TOO much tension on it? I have to release the rension ALL the way literally rested its vertical and to put the belt on it would be horizontal

Both of the pulley wheels are fixed theyre bolted to where the factory alt mounts to. Would there be an issue if i do as you said and pry the belt onto the pulley wheels and the belt tensioner has TOO much tension on it? I have to release the rension ALL the way literally rested its vertical and to put the belt on it would be horizontal
That dont sound right ? belt tensioner should be flexable to do its job and if its so tight all the slack is out of tensioner ? I think thats too tight ? How far would you have to pry to get it on the pully wheel ? More than 1/2" ? if not try it and start it a few times and see if you get any slack so tensioner if moveable and not stuck on its stop.

So idk if car audio gives everyone as many headaches as it gives me but its just issue after issue with this shit. I installed a dual alt bracket and my belt seem to be slipping and the tensioner making a rattling noise. It seemed it was the tensioner so i replaced that and it fixed the slip a bit and the rattling a bit but its stil there sometimes. The tensioner seens like it doesnt have enough belt holding it back its almost all the way rested. The belt that ame with the kit was a K061141 and the next aize down is a k061130. The 1130 is to small cant get it to wrap around the pulleys by like .25" what can i do next? Bigger wheels pulley things idk what theyre called
And gates makes a 113.5 belt too ? 1135K7 - K-Poly V-Belt (Serpentine Belt) K Section Micro Rib Belts - 7 Ribs (113.5" X 7 Ribs)

thats k7 its wider won't fit the pulleys and alts. with the belt the kit came with it works well but i feel it should ave more tension. should the tensioner be bouncing around while the truck is running? its not a lot but it does move its not completely still?
Sorry i didnt see the k7 . But yes tensioner will move around a bit and I have noticed at times sometimes a lot and other times not much at all and dont know why ? But if your not slipping I think your ok.

thats k7 its wider won't fit the pulleys and alts. with the belt the kit came with it works well but i feel it should ave more tension. should the tensioner be bouncing around while the truck is running? its not a lot but it does move its not completely still?
Goodyear gatorback makes a 6rib belt that goes up to 130 in i think it was.
They are the best, better then gates.

You still riding in the silverado?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Goodyear gatorback makes a 6rib belt that goes up to 130 in i think it was.
They are the best, better then gates.

You still riding in the silverado?

Yea im still in my black truck, no plans of ever getting rid of it, thats my system truck. Put to much into it to let it go for what theyre worth.

Look for a larger diameter idler pulley and if need be and possible change the pully on the tentioner with a larger pully. This should help with the extra slack with a larger belt...
Thats what i was thinking larger pullys would autozone and those stores sell them just like that?

are you sure your belt tensioner is in good shape? it shouldnt rattle
Thats the thing i tried 2 autozone ones and they both made the noise then i got a gates brand one from oriellys and this one does the noise for a second or two then it stops. Thats why im thinking i need a smaller belt so the tensioner hasmore tension on it.

The tensioner rattles because it bounces back and forth and hits itself. Thats why i wanted a smaller belt but the smaller belt is TOO small. Tomorrow ima try to pry it onto the pulley but if that fails i guess ima try to add bigger pulleys.

The tensioner rattles because it bounces back and forth and hits itself. Thats why i wanted a smaller belt but the smaller belt is TOO small. Tomorrow ima try to pry it onto the pulley but if that fails i guess ima try to add bigger pulleys.
When i had the quad alts in my sierra the tensioner would only bounce back and forth on a huge load.
During idle it would have a very small vibration look but wouldnt bounce back and forth.

Make sure the idle pulleys arent moving.

Also check to make sure all yhe pulleys are aligned.

The tensioner is supposed to move back and forth all the time.Mine always makes noise when I first start it up in the mornings.the noise is from the bearings inside that may be dry,I usually spray PB Blast just behind the tensioner where the bearings are, wait a few min, then fire it back up.But, its the tensioner itself from my experience.Ive put alot of them on thinking something isnt right, but I dont think they put enough high temp grease inside where the bearings are unless its just been sitting on the shelves so long that the cheap grease they use has dried up and mounded in one spot at the bottom, is all Icould come up with.Its sealed, but that PB Blast will penetrate and get in there if you spray enough and let it set for like 5-10 min and fire it up again.It will do squeel from time to time.Drive me nuts man. I havent found anyone that sells a decent one yet.Nappa seems to work for about 6-9 months then starts squeeling,.GMs start back up in approx 3 months.Its an ongoing issue.I think that design on the pulley should have been different and should have been a recall myself. But until that happens..PB Blast for me

Do you have A/C? If not there is a pully that supposed be just a little larger to take its spot.Look in the Chilton book. It shows with or without A/C.The Parts store will try to mix and match and get it all jacked up trying give you a different belt and different pulley of just what they got on shelves to make a sale.Ran into that a few times myself.Go by the book and or google the existing part # up and Cross reference the number

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.