Small home/desk setup help

Participant count
  • Participants list
Looking to do a little desk setup.

Thinking about either a 2.1 or a 3.1 setup.

Left/Center/Right/Sub

What I need a little assistance with is I'm trying to get the most out of this within my budget.

I currently have everything except the speakers.

Everything will be ran off a Pioneer VSX-920-K

I just scooped up an sa-8 that I'll use as the sub (for now).

Only thing I need is the speakers. Don't want to spend more than 150.

Left/Center/Right/Sub

What I need a little assistance with is I'm trying to get the most out of this within my budget.

Also I don't think a center channel is needed for a small setup. Unless you're working for 5.1 or more then I believe a phantom center would serve better!

Also I don't think a center channel is needed for a small setup. Unless you're working for 5.1 or more then I believe a phantom center would serve better!
Ok thank you.

I ended up picking up a pair of SSA 6.5 evils. Going to fab up a box for each of those this weekend.

I also had some old 3.5 inch NVX drivers that I never used for another project. I used to those to swap out some old pioneer bookshelf speakers.

I'm going to use all four speakers just because of how big this desk is going to be.

Do you know of any decent amps I can use for a sub?

I've just been browsing around and a lot of BS brands it seems like are all around the market.

The thing is that I don't know whats good or bad.

I could do a plate amp or whatever. This would be for that SA-8.

Ok thank you. I ended up picking up a pair of SSA 6.5 evils. Going to fab up a box for each of those this weekend.

I also had some old 3.5 inch NVX drivers that I never used for another project. I used to those to swap out some old pioneer bookshelf speakers.

I'm going to use all four speakers just because of how big this desk is going to be.

I've just been browsing around and a lot of BS brands it seems like are all around the market.

omg a sa on a pc thats funny wish i could hear that.. i had a really nice sounding set i got for almost nothing on ubid back when they actually had deals for like $20.. sounded great for a 6" now they cost about $100 can't think of name right now.. but a sa thats pretty cool..

omg a sa on a pc thats funny wish i could hear that.. i had a really nice sounding set i got for almost nothing on ubid back when they actually had deals for like $20.. sounded great for a 6" now they cost about $100 can't think of name right now.. but a sa thats pretty cool..
Its sorta kinda for movies but mainly for music so I want something that will have a familiar sound to what I'm used to.

Really I want to listen to a song, see how it sounds on my little home setup, and already know if it will perform in my car.

Left/Center/Right/Sub

dayton b652 airs, dont do a center its useless in a desk setup.

Ok thank you. I ended up picking up a pair of SSA 6.5 evils. Going to fab up a box for each of those this weekend.

I hope you know how to build and design a custom crossover network or else that will end in either a disaster or mediocre performance galore. You got midbass and no tweeter and you got what possibly is 3.5 inch full ranges.... with no sound processing to delegate proper jobs and frequencies to.... thats chaotic AF.

bash 500 watt plate amp would be ideal but they cost a lot.

http://www.apexjr.com/

the KRK 250 watt amp is 119 dollars so that would be your cheapest bet.

You seem to be doing a mix of home and car audio. I am familiar with home, but not so much with car audio. That's why I'm on this forum for car help. I'm not too familiar with the sub you're using, but its a home audio sub and you want more power then your receiver can deliver

Its sorta kinda for movies but mainly for music so I want something that will have a familiar sound to what I'm used to. Really I want to listen to a song, see how it sounds on my little home setup, and already know if it will perform in my car.
i have a fair ht with 12" wharfedale got new on ubid again for $150 they like $400 sub and i never turn it on, sometime when peeps are here i put a bass cd in and watch them freak out when crap starts falling off walls lol..

If I were you though, I would get rid of the desk completely and put a computer to a big screen TV in front of your bed and do a 7.1 surround sound setup in your room instead with that pioneer head unit. quality wireless mouse and keyboard as well. Viola, living the life while getting work done lmao.

If I were you though, I would get rid of the desk completely and put a computer to a big screen TV in front of your bed and do a 7.1 surround sound setup in your room instead with that pioneer head unit. quality wireless mouse and keyboard as well. Viola, living the life while getting work done lmao.
I've had a setup like that for years. I can agree with this guy here!

dayton b652 airs, dont do a center its useless in a desk setup.

I hope you know how to build and design a custom crossover network or else that will end in either a disaster or mediocre performance galore. You got midbass and no tweeter and you got what possibly is 3.5 inch full ranges.... with no sound processing to delegate proper jobs and frequencies to.... thats chaotic AF.

bash 500 watt plate amp would be ideal but they cost a lot.

Apex Jr.Home Page

the KRK 250 watt amp is 119 dollars so that would be your cheapest bet.
The 3.5s are coaxial, they are my tweets

That krk amp doesn't say what ohm load it puts out 250 at //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The sub will be ran at 4ohm so hopefully it does it at 4 because ill probably pick it up.

The 3.5s are coaxial, they are my tweets
That krk amp doesn't say what ohm load it puts out 250 at //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The sub will be ran at 4ohm so hopefully it does it at 4 because ill probably pick it up.
all home sub amps are 4 ohm loads, its the standard sort of like how car audio is 1 ohm.

you'll still need a crossover network built or else you'll have the mids bleed into the treble and vice versa.

all home sub amps are 4 ohm loads, its the standard sort of like how car audio is 1 ohm.
you'll still need a crossover network built or else you'll have the mids bleed into the treble and vice versa.
Ill make something work.

Once I actually have something to put these speakers in I'll be able to test, fix, and repeat

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.