Troubleshooting cause for a power cable blowout

Participant count
  • Participant list

Terrum
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have excessively used (probably for about an hour every 2-3 days when I am doing a long commute) a Boss PH2.500 amplifier for over a year now, which I installed with a 10-gauge wiring kit, which I believe I have never overloaded (output gain is below half, bass boost is off, crossover is managed by the headunit to ensure it is only outputting low frequencies). The only way I can think of potentially overloading the amp is through high volumes. It doesn't distort though nor does it sound damaging during such though.

A few days ago the protection light came on, so I planned to look into it the next day. But when I went to look into it, there was no power going into it at all. Used a multimeter to check the all the cables, everything was fine except for the main power cable.

Turned out the part that crimped the fuse to the wire burnt off. Although what is puzzling me is why it was going into protection mode before the wire burnt out, and why it burnt off in the first place.

I will provide photos momentarily if need be however if anyone has any suggestions to avoid this happening again that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for reading this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Bad connection equals resistance. Resistance equals heat. Bad connection equals burnt up wire.
Great help! Will have to rewire it and ensure this new cable has a better connection and stronger crimps! Thanks a ton //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

use only oxygen free copper wire and clean crimps if you intend to wire it and leave it for long periods

if its cca itll corrode over time (copper will degrade over time too, but not as bad) and heat up giving you the result you had. its a good idea to check and sand down those connections every now and then

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.