Excelene 1/0 Welding Cable

slovell
10+ year member

SC
Just got some Southwire Excelene 1/0 welding cable to use as a power cable for a Zapco mono amp and I'm impressed. It's very flexible, you could tie it in a knot, all copper, and the insulation is as thick as anything else I've used. $1.80 a foot online, hard to beat that.

Just got some Southwire Excelene 1/0 welding cable to use as a power cable for a Zapco mono amp and I'm impressed. It's very flexible, you could tie it in a knot, all copper, and the insulation is as thick as anything else I've used. $1.80 a foot online, hard to beat that.
I agree I've been using it since I can remember

Keep in mind, with the welding stuff you want 2/0 (if you expect audio size 1/0)

But yes, good stuff. Along with eb flex

Keep in mind, with the welding stuff you want 2/0 (if you expect audio size 1/0)
But yes, good stuff. Along with eb flex
You don't go by size.....
Wire strand count is what counts. Welding wire 1/0 is like car audio 2/0.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

the strand count my eb 2/0 was 1000 or something like that.

but the strands themselves are much larger.

The knu 1/0 that is relatively comparable to it has 5600 strands. Very tiny strands.

the strand count my eb 2/0 was 1000 or something like that. but the strands themselves are much larger.

The knu 1/0 that is relatively comparable to it has 5600 strands. Very tiny strands.
Welding wire you multiply the strand count by 2 or 3 depending on how the brand strands it's wiring

How so? Car audio wire is one single line of x amount of strands.
Welding wire usually comes with 3-4 lines of x amount each..

idk about you but welding wire strands are waaay bigger and way less than car audio strands. Strand count doesnt overcome the sheer size and surface area of the copper either.

How so? Car audio wire is one single line of x amount of strands.
Welding wire usually comes with 3-4 lines of x amount each..

I think my eb flex has 20 groups of strands, each group probably with 50-80 individual strands of copper.

The knu was just 5k little strands.

The eb 2/0 is bigger than the knu 1/0.

not but much, but it is bigger.

Idk why car audio wire uses so many little strands, I feel like less but larger stands would be better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.