Xbl^2 motor

Charlestyler

85 pounds xbl^2 motor from Pre 2005 12in re xxx..was rebuilt once before. Cant remember all the upgraded parts.it does have a over sized 4in v.c..one of the leads came undone from the v.c..one side reads 3.8 other dont..no time or funds to rebuild it..no burnt smell,or rubbing sounds. Been in storage for 4 years now..time for it to have a new life..Whats it worth to you and your next monster build?...taking offers..no low balls please and thank you..

XBL^2 wasn't exclusively used by Adire even though Adire was Dan Wiggin's company. RE and Ascendant Audio both had XBL^2 drivers at that time. David Moore is intimately familiar with XBL^2 drivers as a result.

If it's not really some random prototype or one off I agree on the 85 lbs and 4" VC. The weight does seem a tad high, and unless someone completely redid the machining on the top plate and ferrite (which is incredibly unlikely) it's a 3" coil. It could use an "oversized" 3" coil that had a higher WW than stock, but that means you're not going to get any of the benefit from the XBL^2 motor. Matter of fact you would be as well off using a smaller traditional overhung motor because the split in the top plate means you take a hit in magnetic flux.

If the 4" is in reference to the WW your sub is going to be horribly inefficient due to the increased moving mass even if it technically does have a higher power handling than stock.

OP it's hard to say what's it worth anymore. A few years ago you could have got a couple hundred just for the motor pretty easy, but custom sub building has really died off. You could always wait for the right person to come along and buy it.

Unfortunately, I've got enough motors collecting dust and rust as is. I personally would give you 125 shipped for the motor alone and that's assuming it's in good condition, but I really don't want it nor need it and it's a huge PITA to ship motors cheaply and safely. If CACO didn't require a subscription to sell I would suggest trying to sell it over there. There's also a couple facebook groups that focus on sub building, but I haven't been on them recently enough to say if they are still active or not.

Was that the parthenon? If so that only weighed about 50 lbs.
naw that was using the unique suspension they where trying to develop i believe. with the 6"s xmax..

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Was that the parthenon? If so that only weighed about 50 lbs.
btw i'm having a underhung driver with that coil built with the exception is not space and counter wound. that will be for later..

I was referring to production subs. Thilos named 5600 never made it past the 3 protos made that he stated he threw in some boxes and lost. So imo they never existed as they were deemed failures.

Ok..sent pics of my woofer to fix my speaker.com they said in email that it does in fact look like a 03/04 xxx motor...they can fully rebuild it for me for little over 200.00 plus return shipping..thinking I should keep it and wait to fix it with some tax money..thanks for everyone's insight...I can post the email from them if anyone wants..thanks again

I was referring to production subs. Thilos named 5600 never made it past the 3 protos made that he stated he threw in some boxes and lost. So imo they never existed as they were deemed failures.
Not sure where you are getting your information, but the 2003-2005 RE XXX's were xbl^2, they paid Wiggins for the rights to use it. I know because I own two 05 XXX's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.