Looking for subwoofer recommendations for an sq setup.

Hey guys I really don't know much about who makes the best sounding subs. All I know is alpine, kicker, and big name brands like that. I've heard good things about image dynamics and phoenix gold and sundown but I really have zero clue. What I'm looking for would be preferably a single 12" setup that's sq oriented and I would like to spend somewhere in the 200-250 range. I could probably spend a little more if needed. My current setup is nvx component fronts with alpine tweeters, and old school rockford fosgate punch 6x9 for the rear being powered by a mix thunder 75.4 (75 watts rms per channel at 4 ohm) with a 12" alpine type s in a sealed enclosure being run off a jl slash 500/1 (500rms). Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

If you liked sealed and just want a really solid sub, look at Image Dynamics Q12, Dayton HO 12. If you are shopping at your local stores, JL 12w3 isn't a bad option either.

Sorry for being blunt, but broad question is broad. There's a lot of considerations to take into account. For instance:

1. What's your budget?

2. What are your expectations with this new sub? Saying you're looking for a SQ sub is still a bit broad. Are you willing to sacrifice some low-end extension for a sub capable of really fast transients?

3. What kind of power will the sub(s) be seeing?

4. What amount of space are you willing to give up for an enclosure in the back?

5. What are you currently driving and have you explored the possibility of going aperiodic or infinite baffle?

I know it seems daunting for a relative newbie to the enthusiast's world, but answering these types of questions can really help us give you a solid recommendation. That being said, taste is extremely subjective, so don't be surprised if you get barraged with recommendations. General rule of thumb is be willing to take a leap, buy used, and be prepared to resell if it doesn't tickle your fancy. You'd be surprised at the amount of people who ask for a SQ sub and find out it's not at all what they were expecting.

Do yourself a favor and buy the SSA GCON . Built right here in USA. Gets loud and low in ported boxes and in a sealed box it sounda really good. I heard my buddys and I really regretted getting some sundown sa8s

Do yourself a favor and buy the SSA GCON . Built right here in USA. Gets loud and low in ported boxes and in a sealed box it sounda really good. I heard my buddys and I really regretted getting some sundown sa8s
So your comparing 8's to 10's or even 12's??

GCON is in the redesign/prototyping process for the next gen. Won't be able to get your hands on one right now anyway. If you're going to compare like-for-like on the SA-8, a more direct comparison would be SSA's F8L that just got released.

GCON is in the redesign/prototyping process for the next gen. Won't be able to get your hands on one right now anyway. If you're going to compare like-for-like on the SA-8, a more direct comparison would be SSA's F8L that just got released.
Agreed...where in WA are ya?

Nah....and only 6 miles from work lol can't beat that. I hate the traffic that always bottlenecks around Everett/Marysville area.
We get very similar at the northern 5/405 split. Luckily, I can take surface streets in.

To the OP, try to ponder over my previous questions. I've run my fair share of subs over the years and listened to a lot of systems as well. Would love to be able to start pointing you in the right direction.

We get very similar at the northern 5/405 split. Luckily, I can take surface streets in.
To the OP, try to ponder over my previous questions. I've run my fair share of subs over the years and listened to a lot of systems as well. Would love to be able to start pointing you in the right direction.
I used to take I-405 to Redmond daily. I'm glad I don't anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.