speaker upgrade need advise

Pun

NY
i am upgrading the system on my car and i went with 12w7 hd 600/4 and an hd750/1 amp i'm trying to decide on components speakers. i'm looking for some input and advise on what the best components are on the market that will match up well with that amp. any input or advise would be very appreciated i use to be big into car audio but i have about 10 years i dont deal with it. no price point just want the best. 6.5 is the size i'm looking for

9Hertz hsk series or hertz millie series. Focal if you like your highs. Morel and dynaudio are pretty good too.
Cdt is several leagues underneath any of these. Stay away

thanks, yes i was looking at some focal and morel also, how are the jl audio i was also looking into them. i just heard about hertz recently how do they sound. i do want good highs also if this helps this will be going into a jeep wrangler unlimited. it came with an alpine system thats suppose to be good but i dont like it at all

9Hertz hsk series or hertz millie series. Focal if you like your highs. Morel and dynaudio are pretty good too.
Cdt is several leagues underneath any of these. Stay away
I disagree I'll put my Es cdt set up against the jsk or Mille sets any day

Cdt is good look at the Es models they are comparable to the hertz. And I think personally sound better. I had hsk 165 in the past

I disagree I'll put my Es cdt set up against the jsk or Mille sets any day Cdt is good look at the Es models they are comparable to the hertz. And I think personally sound better. I had hsk 165 in the past
I've had the ES -06 and es 02 before and in every crossover point and slope configuration, treated doors, EQ curve, on axis, 30 degrees off axis, tried positioning the driver in every nook and cranny of the vehicle you can possibly think of they ****** complete @ss compared to every other driver i put in with nothing else changing but a driver switch and a basic tune, almost every other driver did better without extensive tuning in both sound quality and output. Spent over 40 hours of tuning with , adjusting and positioning and the CDT were just not performing at all. Even PA mids easily outdo the cdt in sound quality, didnt take me anywhere near as long to achieve great soundstage, clarity, detail and presence and midbass strength.

I even put it in a bookshelf cabinet with their proper crossovers and they sounded worse than the dayton b652 airs that were originally inside... on home theater receiver power which is hard to swallow since a lot of things sound better on my receiver(with dual 32 bit high grade DACs and very beefy power supply and amplifier circuit) in a proper enclosure than my vehicle.

I honestly expected more out of cdt for the price they charge. The performance just aint there, just a simple direct driver swap its a massive difference in sound quality and loudness even free air. Those ampere dream series ****** too no offense, not just experienced way better products that have night and day performance capability difference.

I'll wait to hear the "installer error" comments lmfao.

thanks, yes i was looking at some focal and morel also, how are the jl audio i was also looking into them. i just heard about hertz recently how do they sound. i do want good highs also if this helps this will be going into a jeep wrangler unlimited. it came with an alpine system thats suppose to be good but i dont like it at all
JL is mid level compared to the other options. I'd say focal would be the best bet if you want the best detail in the highs but you'll need proper sound control to tame the tweeters. AKA active head unit with 24 bit dac, 13 band or higher EQ, 3 way active network mode and time alignment. Or an expensive DSP with 31 bands of EQ and everything you can imagine.

The sound quality magic happens with the install and tune. Which means proper driver locations, proper angling of the tweeters. Door treatments which includes turning the door into a speaker enclosure, make sure waves dont bounce around in the door panels, treating the rear wave with proper absorbtion, deadening the doors to lower resonance and mass loaded vinyl to block road noise. Making sure things are in proper phase and knowing what to do when its not in proper phase.. That consists of the install.

The tune is proper amp settings, proper crossover points if you are going active, a fully detailed EQ curve rebuilt to match the vehicle's acoustics and driver's parameters to really bring out everything your speaker can do sound quality wise. Time alignment builds a proper sound stage. That part is the tune. You cant really slap expensive speakers on and hope they play good, Every speaker setup needs a proper install and tune if you want that next level extreme sound quality.

JL is mid level compared to the other options. I'd say focal would be the best bet if you want the best detail in the highs but you'll need proper sound control to tame the tweeters. AKA active head unit with 24 bit dac, 13 band or higher EQ, 3 way active network mode and time alignment. Or an expensive DSP with 31 bands of EQ and everything you can imagine.
The sound quality magic happens with the install and tune. Which means proper driver locations, proper angling of the tweeters. Door treatments which includes turning the door into a speaker enclosure, make sure waves dont bounce around in the door panels, treating the rear wave with proper absorbtion, deadening the doors to lower resonance and mass loaded vinyl to block road noise. Making sure things are in proper phase and knowing what to do when its not in proper phase.. That consists of the install.

The tune is proper amp settings, proper crossover points if you are going active, a fully detailed EQ curve rebuilt to match the vehicle's acoustics and driver's parameters to really bring out everything your speaker can do sound quality wise. Time alignment builds a proper sound stage. That part is the tune. You cant really slap expensive speakers on and hope they play good, Every speaker setup needs a proper install and tune if you want that next level extreme sound quality.

yea i know the tune is one of the most important things especially setting the crossover points.

i have a bowers and wilkens setup at home and its 4 years later and i'm still messing with the tune lol guess you never finish looking for ways to improve your system.

again thanks for the info really appreciate

yea i know the tune is one of the most important things especially setting the crossover points. i have a bowers and wilkens setup at home and its 4 years later and i'm still messing with the tune lol guess you never finish looking for ways to improve your system.

again thanks for the info really appreciate
yeah in the home audio world is a lot easier with the crossover points. In the car audio world not so much. Not every component set you buy will sound good in your car no matter how expensive it is. There's weird reflections, phase issues and many other things that can destroy fidelity that is why having an active network head unit or digital sound processor that can assign its own crossover point and slopes to the speaker is the best way to get the best sound quality out of your speakers. With passive crossovers in components they are stuck at some randome point and slope lets say 3500 at -18 db slope linkwitz riley and you cant change the points if your vehicle acoustics call for a higher/lower point with a different slope.

yeah in the home audio world is a lot easier with the crossover points. In the car audio world not so much. Not every component set you buy will sound good in your car no matter how expensive it is. There's weird reflections, phase issues and many other things that can destroy fidelity that is why having an active network head unit or digital sound processor that can assign its own crossover point and slopes to the speaker is the best way to get the best sound quality out of your speakers. With passive crossovers in components they are stuck at some randome point and slope lets say 3500 at -18 db slope linkwitz riley and you cant change the points if your vehicle acoustics call for a higher/lower point with a different slope.

any good dsp you would recommend. i'm getting the alpine x109-wra head unit but i'm pretty sure a dsp would do a better job than the head unit. i'm leaning towards the focal and morel but more towards the focal

On the DSP end, Helix's models are pretty dang hard to beat with their simple UI. On the set-and-forget end, I wouldn't discount JBL's MS-8 (when you can find one).

For components, everybody's going to make their own recommendations. Once you go the DSP route, you're going to find that options end up nearly limitless since now you're able to enter the world of active tuning. I'd suggest taking a glance at DIYMA and seeing what people have learned with various configs and their experience. Honestly, though, your install is going to carry far more weight than the speakers you end up with in the end.

On the DSP end, Helix's models are pretty dang hard to beat with their simple UI. On the set-and-forget end, I wouldn't discount JBL's MS-8 (when you can find one).
For components, everybody's going to make their own recommendations. Once you go the DSP route, you're going to find that options end up nearly limitless since now you're able to enter the world of active tuning. I'd suggest taking a glance at DIYMA and seeing what people have learned with various configs and their experience. Honestly, though, your install is going to carry far more weight than the speakers you end up with in the end.
eeeey look who's back on here, whassup man.

OP, if you are going to go active (as it looks like you will), I'd go raw drivers instead of components. Why pay for crossovers that you will not use. There's a myriad of options here. The "hot" ones are Audiofrog and Stereo Integrity. I think you should check them out, if you are going active. If you stay passive, I am using Morel Tempo Ultra 602 two-way components and am absolutely thrilled with them. But, they are not the best components Morel offers. I think they may give you the best "bang-for-the-buck" in the Morel line, although.

But, as stated before, the install will make a bigger influence on the sound than the equipment, alone, will. Do a great job on the install and you will be pleased with whatever front stage you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.