Subwoofer RMS question

Participant count
  • Participants list

ademotte89

Hi!

I recently removed my subs in my ford escape because I wanted to get my cargo room back and am forced to use a shallow 8" subwoofer for the factory enclosure. So I bought the MB Quart DS1-204. It's a 200w rms and 400w max sub.

Anyway! The sub channel on the amp I have in the car says 350W @ 4ohms and 500W @ 2ohms. Sub is a 40hm DVC. SO! I either have to wire it to 2ohms @500rms or 8ohms and probably get around 175rms.

I know you can over power subs but is that way too much or would it be okay if I was careful with the tuning process. I use an O-scope so I can make sure it's all dialed in I just don't know if all the extra power might fry the sub. I know it probably wont REALLY be getting 500w too so maybe its safe?

Thanks in advance

Hi!
I recently removed my subs in my ford escape because I wanted to get my cargo room back and am forced to use a shallow 8" subwoofer for the factory enclosure. So I bought the MB Quart DS1-204. It's a 200w rms and 400w max sub.

Anyway! The sub channel on the amp I have in the car says 350W @ 4ohms and 500W @ 2ohms. Sub is a 40hm DVC. SO! I either have to wire it to 2ohms @500rms or 8ohms and probably get around 175rms.

I know you can over power subs but is that way too much or would it be okay if I was careful with the tuning process. I use an O-scope so I can make sure it's all dialed in I just don't know if all the extra power might fry the sub. I know it probably wont REALLY be getting 500w too so maybe its safe?

Thanks in advance
well that don't have big coil on it but 1 guy here runs 3500rms to 2 8's.. i'd wire to 2 ohm but set gain low don't use any bass boost or eq's on hu if u can turn bas down on hu (on eq on hu set low freqs to -3 if u have 1) at all not on amp or hu set lp xover at like 100-120hz.. i'm running 930 rms to 600 rms sub..

well that don't have big coil on it but 1 guy here runs 3500rms to 2 8's.. i'd wire to 2 ohm but set gain low don't use any bass boost or eq's on hu if u can turn bas down on hu (on eq on hu set low freqs to -3 if u have 1) at all not on amp or hu set lp xover at like 100-120hz.. i'm running 930 rms to 600 rms sub..
Okay thanks. I just wasn't sure if the extra power might cause any problems with the voice coils or anything like that. going to be interesting going to that sub from 2 p3's.......

Keep the gain dialed down until you feel out the limits of the sub. 200W may even be a bit over-rated on a small shallow mount sub depending how it likes the enclosure.

Also when I'm setting gain with the o-scope should I raise it all the way until clipping or just keep it turned way down?

Not to nitpick, but if you run a million watt amplifier to your speakers, but you artificially lower the signal threshold via gains and processing, then you aren't technically running a "million watts" to your speakers. That is a technique SQ competitors have used for years, referred to as headroom. But I don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing.

I do have the bass setting on the HU its a nice Kenwood.
or to be safe u can try at 8ohm see how that sounds if it does nothing re wire it.. man u can't use a small sealed 10" box, 1cf ain't much (they trying to talk me into 4cf with 15" lol)

or to be safe u can try at 8ohm see how that sounds if it does nothing re wire it.. man u can't use a small sealed 10" box, 1cf ain't much (they trying to talk me into 4cf with 15" lol)
IMO these are safer options. Or finding an amp that better matches your needs.

Okay I'll probably wire to 8ohm first and run it like that at least until it's broken in and then I can try from there. I'm moving the amp I have to another vehicle eventually so I'll play around with it a little and then get a better suited amp later that better fits the power rating.

its a 5 channel amp that's running old school RF FanaticQ 6.75 comps up front. Hoping this little sub will at least fill out the lows, concerned it may not keep up with the speakers.

Yeah I'd say the factory eclosre is less than 0.5 CU. feet. specs on the sub says it will work in a 0.35 cu. foot box with heavy poly. lol

What sux is that I have 4 powerbass es8dv.2 8's but they require a 0.5 foot apiece. and the speaker is physically too big to even put in that box. they're 250w rms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.