Blown sub (kicker S10L7)

Blackiron99

I have a kicker S10L7 in a sealed box pushed by an alpine pdx v9. So, my question is how could my amp blow my sub?the rms of the sub is 600 watt, but the amp only pushes 500...... I'm lost, but need to fix it do it doesn't happen to the replacement.

When I noticed the loss of bass I checked the sub. I was producing a very static sound where it should have been bumping. I disconnected it, and lightly pressed in on the cone, but it was solid. But I could pull out on the cone a little......

It means that the amp is not sending clean signal to the sub. Back the gain down, and see if that helps, if you are not satisfied with the output, you may need a bigger amp dude.

I have a kicker S10L7 in a sealed box pushed by an alpine pdx v9. So, my question is how could my amp blow my sub?the rms of the sub is 600 watt, but the amp only pushes 500...... I'm lost, but need to fix it do it doesn't happen to the replacement.
When I noticed the loss of bass I checked the sub. I was producing a very static sound where it should have been bumping. I disconnected it, and lightly pressed in on the cone, but it was solid. But I could pull out on the cone a little......
Making static sound?.. cone moves out but not in?...Be more descriptive please...

Yup...sub is done for. You clipped it thus vc heated up so much it couldn't take it anymore and blew it. Plenty of info online about clipping. Gains on amps should be no more than 13-1/4 turned up. It is not another volume knob. The purpose of the gain is to match voltage to your HU. Take a search for clipping...

If the cone was solid when you pressed on it, that means that you fused the coil to the motor structure. How this happens is that the coil gets too hot and the metal on the former expands and becomes soft, if it touches the magnet, then it runs the risk of melting itself to the ring inside the magnet and seizing. This is usually caused by clipping, which is when the woofer stays still for a microsecond on the top and bottom of the woofers throw from what is referred to as "square waves". How high was the bass boost set on your deck? Sub output level?

Refer to this image. The image on the left represents the woofers movement on an unclipped signal and the one on the right is clipped. The left side shows the woofer moving freely up and down according to the frequency its being given and the right shows the momentary stalling at the top and bottom of the stroke which causes heat. Clipping for a fraction of a second every once in a while isnt a big deal usually, but any longer is.

amp12a.gif

u also shouldn't turn hu volume to full or use bass boost., if your hu has 4-5v preouts 1/2 gain is too high in most cases, any of those can over drive amp send dirty signal melt coil.. that y many of us actually run more power to sub than rated.. i'm running 930 rms to a 600rms $70 sub no problems cause gain is low and i don't use bass boost/loudness or any eq settings that would effect sub and keep hu volume at 80%

Yup...sub is done for. You clipped it thus vc heated up so much it couldn't take it anymore and blew it. Plenty of info online about clipping. Gains on amps should be no more than 13-1/4 turned up. It is not another volume knob. The purpose of the gain is to match voltage to your HU. Take a search for clipping...
There is no magic number. I got 2.5v preout and my amps go up to 8v. 2.5v is past 1/2 way up. It don't work like that.

Bro... Where did you come up with this heap of nonsense? lol

Your gain should match the head unit voltage. Depending on the voltage being produced by the head unit your gain could be all the way up, or it could be all the way down, but most likely it will be somewhere in between. The proper way to set your gains is with an o-scope or a dd-1 at least. You don't just make it up out of thin air.

The gain on the amp isn't the only worry when avoiding clipping either, most head units clip at a certain volume. Mine gets 1 away from max volume before it clips, but some may only get half way. That's another area where an o-scope comes in handy. You find your point of clipping on the head unit first, then you find clipping on the amp gain. And that's your max volume clean

There is no magic number. I got 2.5v preout and my amps go up to 8v. 2.5v is past 1/2 way up. It don't work like that.
Bro... Where did you come up with this heap of nonsense? lol
Your gain should match the head unit voltage. Depending on the voltage being produced by the head unit your gain could be all the way up, or it could be all the way down, but most likely it will be somewhere in between. The proper way to set your gains is with an o-scope or a dd-1 at least. You don't just make it up out of thin air.

The gain on the amp isn't the only worry when avoiding clipping either, most head units clip at a certain volume. Mine gets 1 away from max volume before it clips, but some may only get half way. That's another area where an o-scope comes in handy. You find your point of clipping on the head unit first, then you find clipping on the amp gain. And that's your max volume clean
Man you guys are onto me tonight....meant to add the word MOST in front of gains. I know its gonna vary from HU voltage to amp.

momentary stalling at the top and bottom of the stroke which causes heat.
Close but not quite. The woofer is still pumping in and out as many times per second in each waveform, what skews things is average power increasing.

Fill in the space between the 0 line and the waveform, your area underneath over time is your power.

It boils down to throwing heat into the coil faster than it can shed that heat.

I'm guessing that 10" L7 uses a 2" voice coil based on the 600W "PEAK" rating given by Kicker.

Close but not quite. The woofer is still pumping in and out as many times per second in each waveform, what skews things is average power increasing.
Fill in the space between the 0 line and the waveform, your area underneath over time is your power.

It boils down to throwing heat into the coil faster than it can shed that heat.

I'm guessing that 10" L7 uses a 2" voice coil based on the 600W "PEAK" rating given by Kicker.
the L7 blowing was probably a blessing in disguise anyways LoL I hust have a strong aversion to kicker. Coming from Tulsa where every third car had kicker stickers on them really burned me out and the silly square subs and how people up here freaked out over them, i constantly heard from folks how they were the best sub in the world and facepalming at that comment got really old really fast

the L7 blowing was probably a blessing in disguise anyways LoL I hust have a strong aversion to kicker. Coming from Tulsa where every third car had kicker stickers on them really burned me out and the silly square subs and how people up here freaked out over them, i constantly heard from folks how they were the best sub in the world and facepalming at that comment got really old really fast
Meh, the only thing wrong with Kicker is the dipshits who use then in crappy prefab boxes and otherwise don't know what they're doing. I've seen plenty of Kicker equipment used right and it's generally pretty solid for what it is.

Meh, the only thing wrong with Kicker is the dipshits who use then in crappy prefab boxes and otherwise don't know what they're doing. I've seen plenty of Kicker equipment used right and it's generally pretty solid for what it is.
I know, I just hate that brand from said dipsh1ts lol for different reasons, but dipsh1ts nonetheless //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.