Relocating starting battery to run with secondary batteries.

Participant count
  • Participant list
sc
Need some advice and Q's answered on how I should go about doing this. I searched and seen people online just run the positive to the rear and connect to positive on battery and then just gound to frame. But I have a dedicated 4/0 positive and 4/0 negative ran from my hood battery to the rear to my second batts. I want to do dual alt with my stock alt in the stock location (for now until I upgrade) and my ea 300 in a custom bracket where my battery is now, it's the only place I can fit it without removing ac and that's not happening with these hot SC days.

1. Can I just run all my existing + and - wires that are on the hood battery tops to a distro block and then use my existing 4/0 wires to the rear batteries.

2. Will there be a greater chance of voltage drop relocating the battery.

3. The starting battery is a 55amp AGM and the 2 rear a 105amp AGM of the same make and model. Will running 2 different sizes hurt them.

4. Will a frame ground be better in the situation. Also big 3 has been done up front.

If anyone has any input or the way they would or have done it would be a great help. Thank you

unless you're trying to remove the front battery for some specific reason just keep it simple and retain your front battery and run it in parallel with the rear batteries that you add

in theory running two different sizes causes problems but if you keep them all AGM it will be fine

if you have difficulty figuring out how to connect that many wires at your front battery get a dual post battery and the 8 post shca aluminum terminals up front they work out well

I want to relocate it so I can run dual alternators. It's the only place under the hood where I can build a alt bracket for a second alt without removing my AC compressor or ac lines which I want to keep. I have a good idea how to run the wires just wanted some input if it's a good idea to run all my positive and negatives under the hood to single post each and run them to the rear.

That should be fine. Besides starting your car, all the battery does is buffer power from the alternator. If 4/0 is going from the battery in the back to the stock battery cables, the battery should still be able to start the car. Lots of modern cars have the starting battery in the trunk and use much smaller wires than 4/0.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.