Help me pick a new single DIN HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

scoob8000
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I've always mostly had Pioneers. I'm a big fan of them. But I'm sick of RCA pico fuse issues.

I'm replacing a DEH-P7800MP and I'm really gonna miss the multiline screen and menu system.

I bought a Kenwood KDX-X998, but I think it's going back. The menus are so clunky and slow to navigate. The whole interface feels like some cheap 90's Chinese deal. I also didn't realize this model was several years old.

What else is out there that I might be overlooking?

Some of my requirements/wants:

Easy to read screen, preferably multi line.

3 sets of pre-outs with active crossover

Rear usb for Ipod in glovebox

Easy to navigate menu system. I really like how easy I can access SW gains etc on most Pioneers.

Bluetooth would be nice but not a dealbreaker.

[quote name='scoob8000']I've always mostly had Pioneers. I'm a big fan of them. But I'm sick of RCA pico fuse issues.

I'm replacing a DEH-P7800MP and I'm really gonna miss the multiline screen and menu system.

I bought a Kenwood KDX-X998, but I think it's going back. The menus are so clunky and slow to navigate. The whole interface feels like some cheap 90's Chinese deal. I also didn't realize this model was several years old.

What else is out there that I might be overlooking?

Some of my requirements/wants:
Easy to read screen, preferably multi line.
3 sets of pre-outs with active crossover
Rear usb for Ipod in glovebox
Easy to navigate menu system. I really like how easy I can access SW gains etc on most Pioneers.
Bluetooth would be nice but not a dealbreaker.[/QUOTE]

They've fixed those problems. @Jeffdachef has confirmed that.

I know it's o/s but cannot go wrong with Alpine 9835. There's also the Clarion cz702, if you can find it.

there should be no issues with picos unless you use old pioneers.

Going from the 7800, the only way you'll be happy is with an 80 prs. No other head unit on the market atm under 1000$ can offer the same amount of control. Of everyone that used one as of the last few years, there's been no complaints of pico fuses. I've accidentally hot swapped the RCAs a few times as well and never had any issues. Still i wouldn't recommend doing that on any head unit anyways.

Thanks for the replies. No matter how much I search I keep coming back to the 80prs.

I've read a few reports of RCA whine with it, but they were mostly from 2013 when it first came out. Do we think they fixed it in the more recent models?

I've been out of car audio for awhile now, it's sad how few decent head units there are on the market. And the good ones are several years old now.

Thanks for the replies. No matter how much I search I keep coming back to the 80prs.
I've read a few reports of RCA whine with it, but they were mostly from 2013 when it first came out. Do we think they fixed it in the more recent models?

I've been out of car audio for awhile now, it's sad how few decent head units there are on the market. And the good ones are several years old now.
Pretty sure they have. I haven't heard of anyone on here nor in person for the pico fuse issue. That 80prs is the top boner right now, and has been for the past few years.

Just got my 80PRS today. Need help if I got a returned unit, or just poor quality control from Pioneer.

My faceplate has some scratches or cracks around the aux jack, and around the up/down buttons by the screen. The kind of look like stress cracks from drilling the holes in the clear plastic. I also expected to see a piece of clear static cling film on the display like most electronic displays have. This unit didn't.

It's nothing major, but for a brand new $300 head unit..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.