Midbass in custom kicks

ashren315

Senior VIP Member
Ok so I just hooked up my midbass drivers in my custom kicks (had an issue with the amp but that's been resolved). In most music, they sound pretty good but in heavier type music (like hard rock), they tend to be a bit muddy and resonant.

Here is the set up for them.

Old school Fosgate 6.5" from the FNQ line of components running off an old school 800a4. I have them bandpassed at 80htz on the low side and 200 thx on the high side.

The custom kicks are fiberglass and currently sealed (I didn't open a hole in the bottom to flow through the carpet yet).

Is it an air space issue or could it be the panels themselves that are resonating? Should I use sound deadened inside the panels? They are not currently bolted down to anything but just wedged in place for the moment as they are not covered yet. I wanted to hear them first before I bothered covering them in case I have to scrap them and start over.

So "port" them through the carpet? Never done an "aperiodic membrain) type enclosure before. How big should the hole be? I've never put this big of a driver in kicks before. Last set I did I put the midrange and tweeter in it. That was pretty easy. This midbass 3 way set up is a pain in the ***. Lol.

So "port" them through the carpet? Never done an "aperiodic membrain) type enclosure before. How big should the hole be? I've never put this big of a driver in kicks before. Last set I did I put the midrange and tweeter in it. That was pretty easy. This midbass 3 way set up is a pain in the ***. Lol.
You wouldn't be porting them, You don't need an Aperiodic membrane. You just need to cut a hole to the outside the vents your driver. Rule of thumb is hole should be half the size of the driver. What is your enclosure made out of? how thick is it? pics?

He does an AP in his but its not necessary. You would be doing something alot more similiar to his but without the "cup". Simply cut a hole that is safe and large enough to keep water out but allow the driver to breathe.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/517186-aperiodic-venting.html

Unfortunately, Photobucket JUST changed their policies and basically screwed everyone over who has ever had a build log. Thus, i can't show you alot of pics and links that could help you out here.

It's fiberglass. 4 layers of 1.5 oz. It's over 1/4" thick. I will take some pics tomorrow and see if I can upload them.

I really wanted to avoid cutting holes in the car as the main point was to keep this install looking factory but with really good quality sound. I seriously doubt I will ever enter it in any competitions.

Ok so today I took it out and deadened the **** out of the insides of them. Then I cut about an inch and a half hole in the bottom of each one to vent into the carpet. This made a world of difference. I didn't have time to break out the laptop and connect it to the 3Sixty to make any adjustments but with just those few things, the bass coming from them is far less muddied and far more punchy. I'm going to play with some settings before I attempt to make the hole any bigger. I did snap one photo of one of them. I will link below.

https://i.imgur.com/f22k6i3.jpg

Ok so today I took it out and deadened the **** out of the insides of them. Then I cut about an inch and a half hole in the bottom of each one to vent into the carpet. This made a world of difference. I didn't have time to break out the laptop and connect it to the 3Sixty to make any adjustments but with just those few things, the bass coming from them is far less muddied and far more punchy. I'm going to play with some settings before I attempt to make the hole any bigger. I did snap one photo of one of them. I will link below.
https://i.imgur.com/f22k6i3.jpg
Man, I can only assume that that kick aimed towards you sounds HELLA better than anything a speaker in a door can do for you...

Do they sound far superior like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, I can only assume that that kick aimed towards you sounds HELLA better than anything a speaker in a door can do for you...
Do they sound far superior like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I finished this install a couple months ago. I should post some pics of it. It sounds amazing now that I ported them through the carpet. I'm still doing some "fine tuning" every now and then on it but the imaging is great and every small detail can be heard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.