Pairing 8 inch Sub with 15in?

romperstomper

MA
Hello everyone,

I'm currently having trouble finding a good answer on this so I hope someone can help me or possible shed some light on the situation.

Back like 6 or so years ago when I was in high school I bought a 15inch subwoofer for my car and although it bumped nicely for rap music and I enjoyed it at the time, the fact that it only hits the low notes is starting to bother me. I've started listening to a lot of drum&bass music and I really need to figure something out because I want to be able to hear at least something in the highs and this 15 gives me absolutely nothing.

I figure if I simply throw another box in my car with an 8inch and its own amp and hooked it up that things would be fine and dandy but the more I look into it the more complicated it seems.

My thought process is that because my 15 hits in a frequency that the 8inch cannot, and the 8inch hits in a frequency that the 15 cannot then when I hook them both up the 15inch will work as normal but I will now have the 8inch to hit the high notes.

Thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

I appreciate the responses. For my amp I am running a JL AUDIO JX1000/1D Monoblock Class D, 500rms @4ohms 750 rms @ 3ohms and 1000 rms @ 2 ohms.

For my sub I have an 15inch Alpine Type-R SWR-1542D, power handling capacity (RMS) 750W, (peak) 2000W in a sealed enclosure (16" L x 18" W x 16.25H) Net Volume Per Sub (2.03 Cubic Feet)

Thanks!

Does anyone really not have an opinion on this? Is there maybe another audio forum I can try, I didn't think a week later and still no response lool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search2.gif.b407e3685eef133dbce7cac8ad3982c7.gif

Gotta be something in your tuning. I know that alpine can play higher bass notes fine. Hell I have a 18 in a ported box and it plays higher notes fine. Also had a pair of 8s sealed that played rap great. As they said it's a myth

Gotta be something in your tuning. I know that alpine can play higher bass notes fine. Hell I have a 18 in a ported box and it plays higher notes fine. Also had a pair of 8s sealed that played rap great. As they said it's a myth
Type Rs are known for being able to play the tighter stuff just fine. What frequencies are you noticing the dropoffs at?

This topic gets discussed ad nauseam, thats probably why people are not responding. It is a myth, and its a poor idea to mix subs.

Also, how high are you expecting the sub to play? At some point, midbass needs to take over.

This topic gets discussed ad nauseam, thats probably why people are not responding. It is a myth, and its a poor idea to mix subs.
Also, how high are you expecting the sub to play? At some point, midbass needs to take over.
^^ this

thats why i asked where the cutoff was to determine if he was expecting too much from a sub and needed to direct his money at better door speakers

Come down to the NADBL show in Hyannis this weekend and you can get a second or third opinion on it.

I'd suggest whatever is missing for you will not require a different size subwoofer, something else is going on.

Hello everyone,
I'm currently having trouble finding a good answer on this so I hope someone can help me or possible shed some light on the situation.

Back like 6 or so years ago when I was in high school I bought a 15inch subwoofer for my car and although it bumped nicely for rap music and I enjoyed it at the time, the fact that it only hits the low notes is starting to bother me. I've started listening to a lot of drum&bass music and I really need to figure something out because I want to be able to hear at least something in the highs and this 15 gives me absolutely nothing.

I figure if I simply throw another box in my car with an 8inch and its own amp and hooked it up that things would be fine and dandy but the more I look into it the more complicated it seems.

My thought process is that because my 15 hits in a frequency that the 8inch cannot, and the 8inch hits in a frequency that the 15 cannot then when I hook them both up the 15inch will work as normal but I will now have the 8inch to hit the high notes.

Thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
your thinking is flawed. If you have two different sized subs in the car, you lose all kinds of bass due to phase cancellation. 8s dont play higher than 15s. both play bass frequencies. You either have crappy door speakers that cant pick up loudly right after where the sub leaves off or your vehicle peaks low, as in vehicle acoustics, cant really change that unless you have space to do a 1/4 wave transmission line box which will allow you to play all the upper bass in the world LOUDLY along with playing the lowest notes in rap as well.

I am beginning to think that you guys may be right and that it might be because I have crappy door speakers. I did a bass test from a youtube video and it seemed to die out around 70hz, my amp does have a filter frequency knob and I have it set all the way to 200hz but I don't really understand it because my sub dies off around 70hz anyways.

Thanks

*edit -

For the record I attempted to tune it myself but I don't really know much about tuning and kinda just winged it.

I am beginning to think that you guys may be right and that it might be because I have crappy door speakers. I did a bass test from a youtube video and it seemed to die out around 70hz, my amp does have a filter frequency knob and I have it set all the way to 200hz but I don't really understand it because my sub dies off around 70hz anyways.
Thanks

*edit -

For the record I attempted to tune it myself but I don't really know much about tuning and kinda just winged it.
i could be the hertz aliens stealing your waves. They harvest them to create energon cubes which is their primary food source.

i could be the hertz aliens stealing your waves. They harvest them to create energon cubes which is their primary food source.
Lol!

To the op, what do you have your high pass filter on your speakers set at? Also bring your sub low pass down to about 80

Also check the amp and the radio filter settings

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.