Noob wiring question (pics)

Participant count
  • Participant list

j.r.

I have done electrical wiring before... but never a car stereo.

I bought an old junker 2001 cherokee with a sh*tty pioneer CD player in it, which I removed to replace with a boss audio bv9982i single din - i scored it new for 50 bucks, so even if it is junk its still a step up because the USB and bluetooth connection are the real features I am after.

Anyway - the plug on the back of the unit runs a few cables into a fuse filter box and then they all connect to a black adaptor (picture here)

The old unit plug was crimped to the cables coming from two adapters inside the box (picture here)

The big question here: Do i remove the crimp caps and attach the cables to their matching colors in the new big black adapter? It doesn't look possible to me...

Or does that big black adapter thing need to come off and then I will just uncrimp the old adapter and crimp my new connections?

Thanks for the help!

[quote name='j.r.']I have done electrical wiring before... but never a car stereo.
I bought an old junker 2001 cherokee with a sh*tty pioneer CD player in it, which I removed to replace with a boss audio bv9982i single din - i scored it new for 50 bucks, so even if it is junk its still a step up because the USB and bluetooth connection are the real features I am after.

Anyway - the plug on the back of the unit runs a few cables into a fuse filter box and then they all connect to a black adaptor (picture here)

The old unit plug was crimped to the cables coming from two adapters inside the box (picture here)

The big question here: Do i remove the crimp caps and attach the cables to their matching colors in the new big black adapter? It doesn't look possible to me...
Or does that big black adapter thing need to come off and then I will just uncrimp the old adapter and crimp my new connections?

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

Can almost guarantee that BOSS HU isn't any better than that Pioneer HU...even if it has a few more features on said HU. I would get something better, if I was you.

Onto your problem: I don't think I've ever never seen so many wire harnesses in a vehicle. Why is there so many? Generally, where the stock radio was/is is where you would wire into the new HU.

Perhaps @Jeffdachef can chime in, see what the mess is all about. Because I'll admit it, I'm just a little confused about it.

yes just cut off and make new connections. You can solder, crimp cap, butt connector or if you are really really careful, pig tails with electrical tape(not permanent just until you can buy some connectors and do it again properly)

You DO know why you scored it for 50 dollars right? lol

Thanks for the responses!
There are only 2 harnesses coming out... maybe the picture isn't clear?
As i said, I have never done this before, but after checking all of the wires, its all 1-to-1 connections.
Cutting the cables and crimping seems like the best idea, and I figured it would work. I just wanted someone to validate that idea (thanks @Jeffdachef and @Boomin_tahoe)

I'll post up how ****** it is once I get it working so you can all have a good laugh... but this car isn't worth investing much, so i got the cheapest unit i could find that would allow me to connect my phone... good enough for me for now!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.