sub recommendation dc 3.5k

oldschoolboomer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
My son has a single hdc3 15 in his ford edge. He is looking for a sub that will better handle the power of his dc 3.5k. He is currently running at 1 ohm but has very strong electrical so perhaps the amp could run a little lower impedance loads. The external space he has available is 6 cubic feet. 36x18x16. Likely a single 15 or 18. He is of course looking to get loud. What do you recommend. Budget is not an issue.

I am on droppinhz right now looking at the level 5. Wouldn't the level 6 no cone upgrade be better as it costs around the same?
if you can wait Id do the SSA audio evil the DC is a pretty nice woofer as well but i don't think you need the carbon cone.

i think hte sundown nightshade would kick *** at 1/2 ohm too as long as you don't clip it you will be good.

another woofer that wou;d ******* is the DD 9915 or the audioque HDC$ 15.

he has an xs power group 65 under the hood, a batcap powerpack and an hc2400 pro in the back. dual 1/0 to amp. At 1 ohm full tilt the voltage meter doesnt move from 14.0

I am on droppinhz right now looking at the level 5. Wouldn't the level 6 no cone upgrade be better as it costs around the same?
you need around 5k(or more) at half ohm for a level 6. The level 5 is more efficent meaning it'll get louder on the same power.

what about hdc4?
Almost every other sub out there is better than HDCs. They are budget woofers that get loud but arent the best sounding nor are they robust. A pair of level 5 18s at 2 ohms on a 2k got MUCH louder than a pair of hdc3s at 1 ohm. There was no contest when i swapped it out.

I just ordered a level 6 18. I upped the size of the box slightly to end up at 5.5 net tuned to 35 with @83 inches of port. They say it could take a few weeks to get the sub so I have time to adjust the box design.

I just ordered a level 6 18. I upped the size of the box slightly to end up at 5.5 net tuned to 35 with @83 inches of port. They say it could take a few weeks to get the sub so I have time to adjust the box design.
you'll want a bigger amp in the future. That 3.5k will barely tickle the level 6

You made the right choice there. LV6 is a solid platform and should hang pretty nicely with your power. Not sure about cramming an 18 into 5 cube, but most folks say DC subs function well in small boxes.

I've ran D.C. Woofers and I have a few buddies that have them, and I must say I'm not a fan, never been impressed by any D.C. Woofer besides the ORGINAL DC XL came out my buddy order two for $290 each and they were nice for the price... now they cost alotttt more. And I know people say DC Like small boxes but 5cubes for an 18" will make some noise but definitely not going to be used to its full potential

I'm a sundown nuthugger. I woulda did a zv4 15, zv5 15, nsv3 15 or nsv4 15 in 5cubes...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.