2 15's vs. 1 18, what would be best for what i want?

Zombiekiller

hey, new here because of this question. would 2 15's or 1 18 be better for what im looking for? i really want that ground shaking low bass feeling, but im unsure of 1 18 would serve that purpose better. i know the area of 2 15's is bigger, and would produce more spl, but if an 18 can outperform the 15's on low bass then thats what i'll go for.

to answer questions i know will be asked:

car: 03 ford crown victoria

amp: boss audio ar2500m (2500 W MAX Power @ 2 Ohm x 1 Channel 1250 W MAX Power @ 4 Ohm x 1 Channel)

i dont know which subs really to buy if i upgrade, so recommendations welcome but i was looking at the Skar Audio EVL-18 D2, because my budget is under 300

What's with these BOSS amps lately?? Complete garbage.

Do you even have enough airspace for a few 15's in that trunk?

Btw, 2 15's will outperform/more bass than a single 18.

I ran 2 15's then switched to 2 18's, I loved the sound of the 18's. There are a ton of variables but what I do notice is that I'm willing to bet that your amp doesn't do rated power. I think you might run a single sub better then a pair if you are looking at 2 15's or a single 18 of the same model.

Boss is known for super cheap amps that don't do half their power ratings. That amp probably does 600 RMS but doesn't mean you can't get some POUND. While the mass of the woofer affects FS which affects low frequency extension its much more about the box so to speak.

If you are going to keep that specific amp Id recommend some lower powered woofers.

American Bass XO 1544 15 Inch 400w RMS DVC 4 Ohm Subwoofer - SSA STORE

41 in wide, 25 in tall, and 20 inches deep. about 8 inches up, i get another 16 inches on width. And i know, boss is bad but im young and have little money. i had to actually go measure lol

41 in wide, 25 in tall, and 20 inches deep. about 8 inches up, i get another 16 inches on width. And i know, boss is bad but im young and have little money. i had to actually go measure lol
well my advice is to get good woofers and then upgrade your amp when you can. Bad thing is that your amp is a 2ohm stable design and most good amps do maximum power at 1ohm so the impedance on the woofers will be tricky..

As a fellow crown vic owner, yes you can fit either setup in the trunk. The 15's will have more area than the 18. If you want you can actually fit 7.5 cubes at the same height as the gas tank if you use up the whole dish. Or just be dumb like me and toss them in a box on my backseat. I actually use my trunk way more often than i use a backseat.

so i guess the answer is basically, the amount of spl that 2 15's make outweighs the fact that 1 18 can produce lows better? is this still true if i would get a much better 18 than the 2 15's?

so now comes the fun part. What would be some good 15's (new or used) that i can get for 300 or less? if that is basically out of the question i can save more and possibly go to 450-500 bucks.

Many brands out there to choose from, Sundown Audio, Soundqubed, American Bass, etc. Depends what your after....what you want.

Many brands out there to choose from, Sundown Audio, Soundqubed, American Bass, etc. Depends what your after....what you want.
mainly spl, i do like it to sound clean at least a little. Always dreamed about having sundown subs since i was a lot younger, so it would be preferable. i just need my stuff on the cheap lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.