1 JL 10w6 or 2 Sundown SA 12s?

mcelwain700

I'm currently running a 10w6 off of a 500w amp at 2ohm in an HO box from JL and it produces tremendous sound quality. However, I don't feel as if I need it to be all that clear and I am looking for some more SPL.

My question is: should I keep the same setup or go with 2 SA 12s and a 1500w amplifier?

I am looking for a little more SPL and I am willing to lose some quality. Will the SA 12s be able to have relatively the same frequency responses (and sound good) as the 10w6?

I'm currently running a 10w6 off of a 500w amp at 2ohm in an HO box from JL and it produces tremendous sound quality. However, I don't feel as if I need it to be all that clear and I am looking for some more SPL.
My question is: should I keep the same setup or go with 2 SA 12s and a 1500w amplifier?

I am looking for a little more SPL and I am willing to lose some quality. Will the SA 12s be able to have relatively the same frequency responses (and sound good) as the 10w6?
easily. Just need a well designed box tuned to your vehicle acoustics and sub parameters. If you buy whatever random pre-made box off ebay/amazon, it'll sound like sh*t and wont get loud.

this IS about what you'd expect from SA subs in a good box/power...

... Look at that flex!

Yeah he probably is... not recommended by SA but 2 of those on 2000 watts in a 4 to 5 ft3 box are quite an experience as well... LOL! 2 SA 12's on real 2K is a great setup...

Isn't that guy overpowering each sub by 1000w according to the specs? I wasn't looking to beat them up quite that bad..
a lot of clean power is waaay better than not enough power and it becomes weak and dirty power which kills subs compared to clean power. After impedance rise you are just seeing enough RMS. Read up on impedance/box rise. Basically whatever amp you buy, you wire to 1 ohm you'll end up around 2-4 ohms power wise. So your 1500 rms amp will only do 500-800 watts clamped. Its not that the amp is bad its just physics, unavoidable with any amp you use.

Everyone here seems to love the sundown subs. Other then spl, there seems to be more subs out there. Idk if your hearts set on the SA subs but have you checked outthe fi q neo series? Read the specs on em

FYI i know the feeling, i have a 12w6 and push this thing all the time. Im always coming close to its max excursion, feeling like i want more. Granted there things i can do tothe car and the box to make this louder. I doubt i can get 3x or 4x more output out of this. And now i can see myself wanting an insane amount of bass

People love the SAs because they get loud AND sound respectable. They take abuse, and are priced fair for what you get.

The Q is twice the price and definately isnt apples to apples. Fi makes a great product tho

People love the SAs because they get loud AND sound respectable. They take abuse, and are priced fair for what you get.
The Q is twice the price and definately isnt apples to apples. Fi makes a great product tho
The specs on the q seem to be better then the SA. Idk about other subdown subs, those other monsters definately seem to beat the q by a long shot though. I think its their reputation too. Fi seems to be a relatively new sub brand.

Specs on the Q seem better.... because it is a better driver. Fi has been around for a long time
So wouldnt you think its worth twice the price? Or no. How long have they actually been atound anyway. I was just passing along what was passed onto me, havnt actually looked into it

Ummm... it is twice the price. Its a 450$ 1500w rms sub. Thats why i said the comparison wasnt apples to apples.

Fi has been around at least 10 years

is it ported? if whats it's tuned to and what size is it? maybe tune a tad higher., but yeah the sa would kill that w6 for that matter 1 skar vvx or ddx ported right with 1k would too.. so would 2 b2 either of the low end subs el or is ported with 1k to 1500 pair and the el only $130., course i think 2 of my pioneers ported with 1500rms would also slaughter it in spl, sq idk but thats more about box and tuning anyway..

The specs on the q seem to be better then the SA. Idk about other subdown subs, those other monsters definately seem to beat the q by a long shot though. I think its their reputation too. Fi seems to be a relatively new sub brand.
from personal experience i absolutely hated how the FI Q 15 sounded and how much power it needed to get loud. It got stomped out in every way possible by a shok industries triton 15 in both output (several DBs) and sound quality. Not sure how the new Q neos sound but if they are modeled after the old ones sound signature wise, yuck.

i'm not a fan of sundown but i'd get an X series with traditional surround or SA series over the FI Q.

FI BTL neos are a totally different story though those are pretty sweet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.