Port area

ewadz3006
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
erie, PA
I just squired 4 12" sundown sa's. I'm looking to build a ported box for them but I'm not sure on port area.

It will be in a mercury mountaineer. It will be on about 4000 watts. I'm figuring 2 cubes or just under per, after displacements. It will be subs up port back. I' m looking for more on the musical side.

Thanks

Offhand... 100 in2 for 4 drivers should be in the neighborhood with that much power and still be musical... i'm guessing. There are many threads concerning this as the SA 12 is a very popular choice... research!

I just squired 4 12" sundown sa's. I'm looking to build a ported box for them but I'm not sure on port area.
It will be in a mercury mountaineer. It will be on about 4000 watts. I'm figuring 2 cubes or just under per, after displacements. It will be subs up port back. I' m looking for more on the musical side.

Thanks
are they 2 ohms or 4 ohms? revision 2 or 3?

Offhand... 100 in2 for 4 drivers should be in the neighborhood with that much power and still be musical... i'm guessing. There are many threads concerning this as the SA 12 is a very popular choice... research!
Thank you. I tried searching but I just have a phone, and any search just says " unknown local search index" or something like that.

are they 2 ohms or 4 ohms? revision 2 or 3?
They are dual 4 ohms and I bought them used so I'm not sure which version they are. I don't know the difference to look at them. They have the chrome backs though. So 2 or 3.

Thank you. I tried searching but I just have a phone, and any search just says " unknown local search index" or something like that.
That's all it says on my phone also. Always some error or not found.

That's all it says on my phone also. Always some error or not found.

Search function has been broken on this board for a while and who knows when or if Goob will ever return to sort it out?

Anyway, I like 15 square inches per cube and up but you can likely get away with less.

They are dual 4 ohms and I bought them used so I'm not sure which version they are. I don't know the difference to look at them. They have the chrome backs though. So 2 or 3.
on winisd you can get away with as little as 80 to 112 sq inches for the amount of power you are putting on it without running into port noise or compression.

How far from the back of the box should I stay with the port? I want tuning at close to 34 or a little under . To do that my box calculator says I need a 26" long port. The box is only 32 deep. I can go more on the 32 if I have to but not a lot maybe 2-3 inches at most.

Search function has been broken on this board for a while and who knows when or if Goob will ever return to sort it out?
Anyway, I like 15 square inches per cube and up but you can likely get away with less.
It started working for me the other day ? Try it again. It hasn't worked for me for a long time but does now and I am glad ! on my pc that is.

[quote name='ChaseinBass']It started working for me the other day ? Try it again. It hasn't worked for me for a long time but does now and I am glad ! on my pc that is.[/QUOTE]

Holyshit. Search function does work!! I just looked for a few things even key words and works!! It only took several years to get it working again lol

Spread the word like the world is ending!! @MikeofTulsa

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.